Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: The Bill Allison 55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
So, where was this car seen (pictured) when it was new ?
There is an early--what I would consider somewhat low end or even throwaway-- 55 brochure which has a car on the cover and a couple of pictures inside which could have been the car.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 7:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It may be the 100+ mph Packard that went over 25,000 miles. That car did't have correct chrome trim as it was early.
Joel interviewed Bill Allison at his home and I'm waiting for him to chime in with some facts.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Is it the car on the cover and inside of the 55 brochure?

www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1955_2GreatLinesBrochure.pdf

It can not be the one pictured in the brochure. The pictures show electric windows. Allison car is manual windows.

If you look on page 18 is there 2 cars or one that is constantly being updated? The top 2 pictures show the stainless trim, but the electric windows picture does not.

Do the cars on page 6 look like they have 1951 hubcaps with cloisonne centers?

Posted on: 2010/3/10 23:05
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jmmfranklin
See User information
Bingo - You Hit The Nail On The Head as to the pictures. In addition, Bill's documents lead me to believe there is also some film footage of the car.

Power window discussion is interesting as obviously it is exactly just that (a second car, an evolution of one, or some very good air brushing/touching up of photos).

Posted on: 2010/3/12 3:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Randy, I rode in the car for the interview with Bill. Motor City Packards has the cd available of the interview on their website. I don't know what became of the cycle car but hope the family or a museum has it. The last time I saw the cylce car it was hanging from the rafters in Bills garage. I have a ok original 56 400 that was a "Detroit" car its whole life so I am diappointed in the characterization of "Detroit" cars as vehicles that nothing could be done with. I am of the the opinion that we should try and save all of them we can, not just ones with a pedigree. Otherwise future generations will look at autorama auto show type abortions as Packards and never see a real one.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
"As far as the Patrician pictured above, I have only seen one photo of Bill Allison in front of the grill of a '55 senior, which could be the Patrician. It's on pg 593 of the Kimes Packard History. The above information on the prototypes is also from Kimes, pg 590-591."

The photo of Bill Allison on page 593 was taken by Dwight Heinmuller at the 1973 PAC National Meet in Detroit.

BTW - It is not the "Kimes" book -- it is the "James J. Bradley, Stan Grayson, George Hamlin, Dwight Heinmuller, Richard M. Langworth, C.A. Leslie, Jr., Terry Martin, Richard K. Phillips, Don E. Weber and L. Morgan Yost book, with the appendices written by Roger Abbott, Charles Betts, Menno Duerksen, George Hamlin, John B. Montville, W.C. Williams and Bob Zimmerman." Beverly Rae Kimes was the editor, and Richard M. Langworth was the associate editor.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 23:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
ECAnthony, Although some may chide you for pointing out that the book should be called by its title and not use the "Kimes" shortcut, I agree with you completely. I was co-author of a book and the fellow we designated as "editor" because he had a secretary who could type up our notes wound up with his name plastered on the dust jacket and cover. And for a long time people referred to that book, in which all of us had invested three years, as "whatzis" book. The sound of my teeth grating could be heard for several blocks, or so I am told.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 0:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

ECAnthony wrote:
"
BTW - It is not the "Kimes" book

Well, I'll be darned if I am going to refer to the book "Packard, A History of the Motor Car and the Company" or "The James J. Bradley, Stan Grayson, George Hamlin, Dwight Heinmuller, Richard M. Langworth, C.A. Leslie, Jr., Terry Martin, Richard K. Phillips, Don E. Weber and L. Morgan Yost book, with the appendices written by Roger Abbott, Charles Betts, Menno Duerksen, George Hamlin, John B. Montville, W.C. Williams and Bob Zimmerman." book (whew! even just typing it made me tired) when making a reference to items in that tome. I appreciate that many authors had input and deserve credit but it would be impractical to cite very contributor everytime or to type in the full book title every time. While I am guilty of referring to it as the "Kimes" book also I often refer to it as the "Packard, a History etc..." book. Suggestions?

Posted on: 2010/3/14 20:28

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave, I think I'll try to start calling it "the Kimes-edited tome"

Posted on: 2010/3/14 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Definitely, credit should be given where credit is due, but if you've contributed to a work and received credit within the work, that's about all you can expect. It is neither needed nor proper to include contributors in a citation.

I do try to include a complete citation to Packard, The History of the Motorcar and the Company, Beverley Rae Kimes, Editor, c 1978 Automobile Quarterly, in at least the first post in which I might quote from it in a thread. Citing sources is the right (and legal) thing to do, lends credibility to the quote, and perhaps most important, leads readers to find the specific passage or photo if they are interested.

I don't mind giving the Kimes Packard History the recognition it deserves and legally requires. What I won't do is keep repeating the full citation post after post on the same thread. I think using the correct citation of "Ibid." for this purpose would just add confusion. Readers might think it was an Internet acronym for "I Bet I Did" or something.

I do think that since Beverley Kimes has edited "tomes" besides the Packard History, it is a good idea to refer to it as the "Kimes Packard History," rather than just "the Kimes book," when mentioning it in passing.

BTW, if there's any question about whether I've used full citations when quoting this book or others on this site, feel free to check. In short, IBID.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 22:57
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved