Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 138

Wat_Tyler, BDeB, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Windlace Installation 5587
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
KevinAz, where did you get the windlace?

Posted on: 2010/3/13 0:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Randy,

As usual your posting 'hit the spot' so to speak with me. Frankly, I was completely unaware the the windlace went vertical all the way up to the point where your photos show.

Many thanks once again.

And as to where I purchased the windlace; I got it from the good fellas over at Kanter Auto. Not an exact color match but close enough for me to enjoy.

Big Kev........I'll post more pics as I proceed with the item.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 18:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
The windlace on the rear quarter panel on a 55 Constellation I am considering buying goes up all the way to the window sill and tucks underneath it. It is also that way on my Caribbean and Panama although those two do not have original interiors. The Constellation is all original.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 19:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Kevin, I just copied what Packard had. I had the luxury of removing it myself and thus understood what I had to do installing the new stuff. That is one continuous piece from top of windshield to the scuff plate. There should be a tack strip where the rear windlace goes and that tack strip is retained by the "arrows". You can use small brads or good staples to retain that windlace.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 19:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Just a couple of pictures. I decided to try the right rear first as opposed to the RF. One tricky thing I learned was that the rubber inside the windlace has a tendency to 'creep' or move, so it's important to use a clamp of something to prohibit it sliding.

I stapled the windlace into some soft wood that I cut down to the same size as the old composite material that was previously used along the jam. I also used a small tac hammer to seat the stables all the way as they were tough to get seated correctly.

Hopefully, I'll get better as I do the other parts of the car.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 21:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Kev,

No pictures came through.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 22:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Pretty straightforward. Problems I encountered were keeping the foam rubber in the windlace from creeping downward during the process and getting the staples into the soft wood I used instead of the composite originally in the car. More pics as I move through the car.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Humm??? My second attempt to post pictures without success & I'm not sure why. Will try again soon.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 22:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check the resolution and file size. It needs to be .jpg image that is 1280 x 1280 or less, and also with a file size below 1500kb. Otherwise the website will throw it away for being too big.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 22:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved