Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

37Blanche, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Were padded dashes standard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
like on my 56 perhaps? I have no idea how many cars Packard produced in a given block of time, but if the numbers are right, mine is something like 337th from the end of the line. maybe they just ran out of material and painted it?

Posted on: 2010/3/29 17:53
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
mikec, I doubt that, I own a very late car (built/delivered in early June) and have seen several later ones, including the very last Caribbean, and they all had their dash pads. These cars were shipped in June, several just days before the plant shut down. But plastics of that era certainly didn't have the UV blockers of today's synthetics and I suspect if a particular senior is missing its pad, it was removed at some time in the past because of deterioration of the outer skin, or more likely the inner foam which when aged turned into sort of a slimy goo.

The new repro dash pads made by Just Dashes are just superb, but VERY expensive, plus you have to remove and send them the dash panel.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Owen, I have not seen a JustDash pad, just heard reports. The one I originally saw on a 56 400 that was featured on the cover of a mag several years ago was installed backwards. That is, the seam that should have curved in and down to meet the stamping of the lower dash, was actually curved out toward the windshield. I have the mag here somewhere. This Scottish Heather/Dover White 400 also had a Carib intake. You may remember it. In any case the profile of the padded dash should follow the profile of the front fenders - it should curve up and out and then roll back at the seam as per the profile of the front fender at the headlight. I know DH was quite pleased with his but I haven't seen that one up close and personal.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 22:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I think the dash pad would give some protection in an accident. The metal has quite a sharp edge. Of course, it would be the difference between a very bad head injury and an awful head injury. At lower speeds, it would probably be the difference between a really bad bruise and a bleeding forehead with split skin.

The dash pad in our '55 400 was removed, and the dash painted with a nice black textured paint. It looked fine, but I remember staring at that hard edge when I was a front-seat passenger, and hoping my brother didn't hit anything, as he was the regular driver after the car was restored.

Seat belts forever!

I wish we had a complete section on the Modifications board dealing strictly with belt installations. It would be nice to improve the longevity of the Packard faithful.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 0:24
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
so would there be any evidence as to weather or not it was originally padded? IE clips or attachment points?

Posted on: 2010/3/31 13:50
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless they did a thorough job of removal, there may be remnants where it wraps around the top and goes under the chrome strip that surrounds gold dash overlay & hides the joint between the two halves of dash. Elsewhere, it just glues and edges are under the windshield molding which is easily removed. The dash chrome (and if cover was pinched between the two halves), not so easy.

Believe you said your car was thought to originally start as a police car. If it was ordered as such, maybe no pad was there.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 19:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved