Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 145

Packard Newbie, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Need wiring for 1952 300 Sedan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
I am looking for sources to obtain the wiring that is directly behind the instrument panel. All the insulation has come off of it and it is shorting things out. I have attempted to splice in pieces, but now I'm kind of gun shy to give it another try. Hoping to locate a good used harness.

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Chuck
Arizona

Posted on: 2010/4/5 22:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Need wiring for 1952 300 Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
These folkshttp://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/ make nice original replacement wiring. I used them for overdrive wiring on my car. Couldn't be happier.

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/5 23:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to 39super8's recommendation there is also Rhode Island Wiringhttp://www.riwire.com/ and Potomac Packards.

I know it's a large outlay but for peace of mind and time & effort spent maybe worth biting the bullet to do it. Seriously doubt you would find a 60 year old used harness that is (or would be) in much better shape than what you have after all the twisting and turning to get an old stiff bundle out of where it is and into the places it has to go.

If you are handy and not trying to be authentic, you could remove your old harness and buy appropriate supplies from one of the companies listed. Each sell proper wire by the foot as well the hard items and terminals. By laying your old one out on a sheet of plywood and securing in the approximate form it needs, it is a fairly simple matter to redo wire by wire. I did this using modern wire for a 53 that was to be a driver only. Downside is you would not be able to have the outer cover braided but would have to use the later harness wrap instead such was done after 55--or buy a modern premade loom covering equivalent such as KevinAZ did on his 55.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 8:20
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure about '52s, but '54s were tape wrapped harnesses.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 10:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I think my '51 has a tape wrapped harness as well. My plan was to buy the wire and just patch the ends of the harness since the main part seems OK still. You can patch on the new wire that will be seen and tape wrap the harness to cover it up.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 10:34
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For some reason I thought they were still braided till 55 but will stand corrected. All the more easy to buy the proper color --believe still cloth covered-- wire and make your own--saving a bundle at the expense of a little time in the process.

On the Rhode Island site in the "more about us" section are pictures of the type layout they use. IMHO, pegboard with rounded hooks would be even easier than the plywood/nail method I used--and the pegboard & hooks could be put to good use in the garage afterward.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 10:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I have a '51 and a '53 Packard. Some where along the line I acquired a '52 instrument cluster with the entire harness still attached. There is a little tape wrap which is mostly concentrated in the section about 6 to 8 inches from the back of the cluster and extends for........10 to 12 inches to keep the loom bundled together. (going from memory here)...anyway, It is hanging in my shop. If any pictures would help I'll be happy to take and forward some. The observation that trying to find an old replacement loom to exchange with your current wiring is correct....Some of the wires are great, some are bad, but all are very brittle and would be the worse for wear trying to get them in and out. As an aside, I had a complete loom made, from the gas tank to the under dash stopping at the fire wall. It was made by the out fit in Redlands, CA. I found it to be a lot of work.
Some things I just don't want to learn how to do any more. Where's my Scotch and soda????

Posted on: 2010/4/6 11:30
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved