Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
57 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 56

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Which is the drive wheel?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks guys. Yes it is an Ultramatic (should have mentioned that). Trans problems are not uncommon for me with my supposably "rebuilt" one. Last time, I lost high gear and only could go in low and reverse. Turned out the metal plates that go on the bands came off. I'm hoping it is the same with the high gear. Can't check until I have it on concrete though!

More rain tonight will postpone my efforts.

When I say I feel it go in gear, I hear the engine RPM lower only when it goes in reverse or high (high is a little hard to find). Then I rev the engine and the car moves slightly but no tire spin. Speedometer does not show any movement.

I suppose a combination of the locked wheel, poor engine performance (runs as smooth as silk, but idle is high and RPMs don't seem very fast), only having high gear and friction from the mud is keeping it from moving? Not sure if that is possible or not? I can see not having a lot of power in only "high" gear, but shouldn't you have a lot in reverse?

So far, some great ideas...keep them coming! I really appreciate it!

Posted on: 2010/4/5 20:41
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your problem could be a lot of things, but if the car sat in mud for much time and the parking brake was applied, I suspect a rusting of the parking brake cables (thus the brake is applied even though the handle is relaxed) before I'd suspect anything inside the brake drum. Though of course the drums can rust, that rust wouldn't adhere very strongly to brake lining material.

Posted on: 2010/4/5 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Owen..good thought, but I disconnected the parking brake long ago to prevent that from happening.

I have a rebuild kit for the carb. Maybe I should start there? I already have new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I haven't messed with the points yet, because I have never done them before. I was hoping to have the car on concrete before tackling those things though.

Posted on: 2010/4/5 21:11
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I'd get that rear wheel turning before working on the carb or plugs or anything. If you can't jack it up where it is beacuse of the mud, drag it to a place where you can jack it up and free the brake drum to spin.
Trying to break it free with engine power might do more damage than dragging it a few feet to higher ground.

On the other hand if your engine power is really so low, it could be you're just not making enough torque to move the car. I would still bet a brake drum is frozen.

Hope you get her going.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 11:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thank you all for your suggestions. TOBS, I would love to drag the car out more, but because of the way it is positioned being perpendicular to my single car driveway and the fence on the otherside, I don't have enough room to pull it any further with another vehicle. That is why I am having to rely on using the car's own power.

The rain continues to fall here. I may take the opportunity to run the car again and see if I can get the free wheel to spin with the wetter ground. I think I will rebuild the carb while I wait for the ground to dry out again and then try to jack it up. Might have to use a bumper jack because the frame is so low to the ground right now.

Would it be a good idea to spray PB blaster in the access hole on the brake backer plate and around the inside of the drum? Maybe that would help free the stuck wheel. Would brake cleaner get the PB blaster off of the shoes afterward? I would hate to wreck them (if they aren't already).

Posted on: 2010/4/7 7:28
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I don't think the PB will help all that much there. Try to wiggle under and adjust the star wheel. To loosen the brakes, insert the tool and push the handle DOWN. Don't want to make them tighter by accident! A screwdiver will work, but a real brake adjusting "spoon" will do you better.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 8:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Michael Smith
See User information
Sometimes hitting the tire that is seized with a big hammer will vibrate things loose. Hit the rubber not the rim so as not to damage the rim.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 14:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
have you checked the transmission fluid? maybe it has leaked out over 5 years time in the mud? or it could be full of water?

Posted on: 2010/4/7 19:29
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Without the benefit of a picture to show the predicament the car is in regarding mud, obstances, and such, I may be way off base but it seems to me your best bet is to put your efforts into moving the car to a position where you can properly assess what's wrong and what it needs. Can't you lay some heavy, broad timbers in the mud as a support, using them jack the car up and put some skid plates or sheets of plywood under it, and using a winch or whatever skid/slide it or otherwise extract the car from the mud or whatever other impediments are in the way of evaluating it?

Posted on: 2010/4/7 19:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
MikeC...good thought. Since the dipstick is under the car, I can't get to it. I threw some fluid in to see if it made a difference and it did not.

Owen_Dyneto...if you click my registry link in my signature, you can see a picture of where the car lies now. It is right against my house, perpendicular to my drive way. If I try to pull the car further out, the angle might drag the front end into my house. Using some plywood is a great thought. Maybe I can put the rear end on a plywood sheet and drag the rear sideways. The car I would pull it with is front wheel drive so the front end could be on the driveway for traction. I don't know if it would have enough power, but I think I have some plywood I could try it with. I wish I had a winch, but I don't and no one I know has one. Maybe I could rent one somewhere.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 20:31
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved