Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

acolds, Greg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Is the buy it now price reasonable for this '56 Executive?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Well, I'm in no position to buy this one now unless I win the lottery soon...

When I first saw the listing, it seemed to me that the BIN price WAS reasonable, given the low production figure for this model.

But that's why I hang around at this forum...to learn things...

Posted on: 2010/4/14 15:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Well, for starters, I like the fact that it is a pushbutton car! The correct engine green is more of a medium metallic green than turquoise. I see lots of it on pushbutton actuators as they arrive, about one out of every eight.
Yes, it is rarer than a 400, but it is also a lesser model, and that has to figure in.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I really liked the car also. I have seen several much nicer restored ones that I would buy for more money if this were a perfect world. That said the price at buy it now I believe is 4-5 thousand too high. However if the buyer is nearby and can look at the car in person and determine its condition to their satisfaction and have low nearby shipping expense then maybe the buy it now price is ok. I really like the red ones with the white stripe.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 7:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hard to tell much with certainty from a few pictures and words, but if that's the model and color you want and the paint and bodywork are as good as they appear, and if (a big IF) the mechanicals are well sorted out, I don't think $15K or so is unreasonable.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I just have to laugh at "incorrect" valve cover paint. It was pointed out on a car I was looking at a while back. Well, I sure wouldn't ask to have $1000 knocked off because at some point the valve covers were taken off and touched up before putting them back on, rather than letting them continue to rust and pit.

But, in this case, I'd ask for about $7000 off just on general principles. Although a desirable car, an Executive should not be going for several thousand more than, as mentioned, a very very good 400 would fetch.

Nice one to keep an eye on for when the seller really wants to part with it. Obviously just fishing for now, but possibly worth a shot to hook an over-eager e-bay buyer.

Just my (and now half-off with limited time mail-in rebate).

Posted on: 2010/4/15 23:12
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
You did notice that rocker panels appear to be shot? Put me off.......

Posted on: 2010/4/19 21:42
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I didn't notice the rocker panels, no.

So, 54 years later, an Executive is still considered a "mid-level" Packard...above a lowly Clipper ( ) but not at the exalted level of a 400 or Patrician?

Posted on: 2010/4/20 15:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm thinking back to the comment in this tread that an Executive hardtop shouldn't sell for the same or more than a more-or-less equal condition 400. Of course what one is willing to pay for a car depends very much on the perception of value (model, rarity, condition, etc.), how burning the desire and urgency is to have that car, and of course the depth of pockets. A very nice, essentially unrestored but extremely reliable long distance driving 56 400 recently sold locally for a similar price to the asking price for the Executive. Then there was the extremely nice, restored 56 400 that sold at Hershey two years ago for about $60,000.

A bit off topic, how many noticed that 733 limousine on eBay in Bergenfield New Jersey for $25,000? I sold in a flash, a day or less, and someone got a VERY nice bona fide Classic - I'd seen the car on several occasions and it was very nice, very well preserved original with a rebuilt engine done by one of the better restoration shops in NJ. While it was a limo, it was on the 133 inch wheelbase, not a unwieldy length like some.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 11:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved