Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 39

Don B, Fish'n Jim, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Generator to Alternator Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Has anyone done this? I know that it's a popular mod with the Chevy guys, and I like that you get full power and charging at idle speeds. Ideally, I'd like to convert to a internally regulated GM unit.

Posted on: 2008/2/15 10:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Generator to Alternator Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Keegan,
I have done this conversion on my 38 and it workks FANTASTIC! I searched the web and found a 6 volt positive ground unit and bracket.This is a Delco 10si style single wire alternator.So wiring was simple.I used the pulley from the original generator wich was also Delco.

RT

Posted on: 2008/2/15 10:54
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is a pretty easy conversion. The "one wire" alternators are easy too hook-up. But if you have a Clipper with just a "Gen" light, then I recommend you get a 3 wire one, to keep the gen light working.

You will need to fabricate a new lower bracket, but you maybe able to reuse the top bracket with a spacer. I did this conversion on my '54. See my project blog for more info.

I would look for a GM 10SI style alternator from virtually any 70's GM vehicle.

Posted on: 2008/2/15 22:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

packprince
See User information
Power Master makes an alternator that looks like a Generator. It will fool judges and is a one wire. the brackets are easy to Fabricate. Next I would suggest stepping up to 12 volt negative ground. I believe the person who invented the 6 volt positive ground is the same one who invented the straight blade screw driver.

Posted on: 2008/2/16 8:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I need to learn more about the 12v Neg. Ground issue. Are there any good articles to read up on it?

Posted on: 2008/2/16 11:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Just because GM and Chrysler went 12 volt negative ground, so did Packard and later Ford. Standardization, any standardization is good as it brings down prices. But before we convert everything over to 12 volt negative ground including flashlights and Hearing Aids let us remember that six volt positive ground was the standard for a long time. I drove a 1952 Packard Mayfair until 1958-59. I didn't have any electrical problems with it in all that time. The original six-volt Willard battery lasted until 1958. Of course I didn't have all the power requirements that are now common in most vehicles.
And which one of you will be first to ridicule the 12 volt negative ground system when all the manufacturers go to 24 volt or 48 volt systems? How about wire guided systems controlling your vehicles on the interstate? Will you also deride the invention of the steering wheel?? My 56 Packard runs just fine with the original style Delco generator and I don't have to fool anybody.

Posted on: 2008/2/16 20:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
You can check out the website-www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com They have very good info on 12 volt conversions . If your gonna have any accessories -a/c-stereo ,etc.. you'll have to convert over to 12 volts.

There a guy in Washinton State(I think) who is making what he calls a "Genernator" .Which I thought was pretty cool!
And expensive.

Here's a pic of the 6 volt positive ground Delco 10 si on my 38 six.
I forgot to mention that no modifications have been done to the brakets or wiring.I can change back to the generator in 30 minutes for shows.
The generator just couldn't handle parade type traffic.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.37 KB)
555_47b7b58d4e5ab.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/2/16 23:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Like Randy, I really have a hard time understanding why people make these changes to 12 volt systems and alternators replacing generators. It destroys the cars originality and authenticity, lowers value to many future buyers, and except perhaps in the case of an irate spouse who demands air conditioning, offers little or nothing in return. The engineers who designed these cars knew how to size a generator capacity to the electrical load of the car so unless you've dramatically increased the load, what's the gain - brighter lights while standing still? And why 12 volts? Seems to be this pervasive thought than prior to the advent of 12 volt systems in the 1950s, all cars built before that wouldn't start.

Posted on: 2008/2/17 9:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

What we've got here is a dichotomy. Some enthusaiasts know, understand, and want authenticity, while others want the good looks of an old cars with the convenience of modern technologies.

While I'm in the former category, I can understand that when someone wants to add air conditioning, stereo, and all sorts of other devices, they might choose to upgrade from 6V to 12V.

If you've gotta make this change, at least the choice of the good old Delco SI alternator is a wise one. They are incredibly easy to service and most component parts are still available (at least in the aftermarket). Since so many cars used that style of alternator and for so long, I suspect parts will remain in good supply as long as fossil fuel is available. (That's a relief, because you couldn't pay me to install any alternator GM has used on vehicles in more recent years.)

When I pick up with restoring one of my Pats as a daily driver, I'll likely add an "aftermarket" A/C system and wire up an MP3 device to play through the factory (mono) radio, but that's about as modenr as it will get. Depending on what I find with the oil pump, I may upgrade to electric wipers, but will go with one from a Chevy of the period, which is nearly a direct-fit another savvy member pointed out. Yet, I'm confident that the stock Delco generator will handle my needs.

Posted on: 2008/2/17 10:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen wrote:
" The engineers who designed these cars knew how to size a generator capacity to the electrical load of the car so unless you've dramatically increased the load, what's the gain - brighter lights while standing still? And why 12 volts? Seems to be this pervasive thought than prior to the advent of 12 volt systems in the 1950s, all cars built before that wouldn't start."

WHERE do u find a NEW 6v generator for a Packard or anything else for that matter???? What will it COST????

Prior to the horse power revolution of 1955 most vehicles were geared with very high ratio axles and for good reasons FOR THAT ERA but now nearly absurd for modern day use! BELIEVE it or not, this effects the generator output if OD or lower ratio gear sets are used to sustain modern demands..

If a car is only used for driving between trailor and showing field then i don't understand why anyone needs a generator that even works. All they need is one that looks good and is correct for that model.

Posted on: 2008/2/17 11:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved