Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

56 seat belts, brake lines
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
56 Patrician. My wife wants seat belts or else....and it seems a good safety thing to do. Can anyone suggest what lengths I need, considering that some of our friends are definitely plus sized? Does anyone have mounting and/or vendor suggestions,

Also thinking that the flex brake lines are how old, so replacement seems prudent. I don't need authentic materials: I want safety as reasonably as is prudent.

Much thanks!

Posted on: 2010/4/29 18:29
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 seat belts, brake lines
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
The old swamper parts store in town had a set of flex brake lines in stock. They were a cross reference to a later model studebaker, a truck iirc. they were a bit longer than stock, but that seemed to be a good thing as it allowed far more slack for the long travelling torsion level suspension. the stock ones were nearly tight when the suspension would tilt rearward.

ill see if i still have the recipt which said what model steadybreaker they were for.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 18:36
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
I just put seat belts in my 56 Deluxe and I had a heck of a time finding a set to match the interior of my car which is what I wanted. I found black and tan and other more modern interior colors but I wanted them to look period since they weren't original. I found them for the best price at JCWhitney in all different lengths and styles and colors. I put the pilot style belt in my car in the dark green to match. But they have the 3 point as well, along with the mounting kits for each style. Installing them was easy and they told me a week for shipping I got them in 2 days. Also if you call in to place the order which is what I did they still honor all internet deals listed on their site.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-lift-latch-safety-lap-seat-belts/p2006829.jcwx

This is what I put in my car for the backseat.
Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 6:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2010/4/30 7:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I bought my seat belts here:http://www.dansclassic.com/products.cfm?md=910&kys=seat+belt&yr=&c=

22 colors to choose from, you can usually match the color of your interior. They are $21 each, and have the vintage look chrome finish flip handle.

If you are doing anything with your brake lines (and every old car owner should as soon as they take possession of an old car) go over every inch of the car's brake lines and make sure that they are not rusted or compromised in any way. This is a single-pipe system 9all Packards are from the factory) and there is nothing wrong with that as long as the system is strong and tight. If you drive your Packard every day, under rush hour conditions you may wish to modify it to more modern (post mid-60s) a two-circuit system with a switchover valve. I just make everything as good as new and the car stops fine ( I live in a very flat area!) but make sure the brake line tubing is good and clean (unrusted) from the master cylinder to the flex hoses, make sure the flex hoses are modern material and in good shape and make sure the wheel cylinders are in proper working order, no corrosion or electrolysis is gumming up their operation.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 8:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I just used www.gotbelts.com for 75 inch Beams Classis Chrome flip type. They were under $50 for the pair with shipping and hardware. Good quality and lots of colors.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 15:14
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
These are great leads, for which thanks to all!

I still would appreciate guidance about where and how you placed the seat belt mounting bolts, as well as whether you applied undercoating or caulk to the exposed nut/washers etc........

Thanks again. My confidence level is only so-so and I do not wish to screw up the car......

Posted on: 2010/5/1 13:26
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm curious what type or size attachment or reinforcement plates come with the belts for use under the floor. The seats have a large reinforcement plate to spread the force and prevent pullout for those bolt locations but what size are the belt plates. That is one thing I wouldn't skimp on in a car with softer steel and never designed for belts.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I used a very short seat belt wrapped around the rear seat foot rest as an anchor for the inside strap lap belt. Anchored to the door pillar for the outside strap.

A lap belt with out a shoulder strap is just cosmetics at best. So it really doesn't matter how good the anchor is if no shoulder strap is used.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 14:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
...A lap belt with out a shoulder strap is just cosmetics at best. So it really doesn't matter how good the anchor is if no shoulder strap is used.

I disagree. A three point seat belt is better than a two point seat belt of course. But a two point seat belt will most likely keep you in your vehicle instead of on the hood of the car that hit you. This is more than cosmetic.

Posted on: 2010/5/1 16:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved