Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 43

Ross, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Air Duct Vent Hose Question 54 Packard Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
This is an easy question for you guys with experience under the hood. I bought new air duct vent hoses to replace the old ones that are either missing or falling apart. In the pics you see a new one and an old one. In the other pic you see where I'm trying to put it. My question is how do you get them to stay connected. I can manage to put them on ok but they are loose. Do I need to put on a pull zip tie and then clip the ends of the ties so they don't look all that visible with a flappy left over sections? Also - on the other side, since these come in 2 foot sections, I think I have to cut one in half to connect for the 2 one foot sections under there. Do I just use scissors and a wire snipper? Thanks for any advice - Frank

Attach file:

jpg  (132.83 KB)
1341_4bddaf5251902.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (100.06 KB)
1341_4bddaf66b1aba.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2010/5/2 12:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Air Duct Vent Hose Question 54 Packard Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I haven't had the issue of them pulling off unless the one you have is not exactly the correct size. Sometimes the metal has some little "half moon type barbs" approx 120 degrees apart on them that is supposed to grab the wire. If you have those, check to see if they have been pushed down.

One thing you might try is stretching the hose with something and letting them hang in the sun to see if they will lose the set. If that doesn't work then ties might be the only option. I would try and find black wire ties so you would not see them as readily. Don't think you will have much luck in hiding them. Most good electronics stores and even some larger hardware stores should have them and if not, then maybe a length of black shrink tubing and put that over the light color tie and then put the clasp under the hose. Again, most good electronic component supply stores have tubing in 3' or 4' lengths. The hardware stores might have something in the dryer vent section--even metal clamps that could be painted.

As to cutting, scissors or a knife will do fine for the fabric but the wire I usually see used is either stainless or music wire and is very hard. If you have large enough cutters it might work but can easily put a notch in a good pair and ruin them if they are too small. A better thing might be to cut the fabric and then use a cold chisel on the wire. A cold chisel, if ruined, is cheap compared to cutters.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 12:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I found that removing the blower motor and cage allowed me to get a hand inside the duct and thus allowed me to slip the hose over the duct. The duct that I have (Original?) was a little bit smaller and really tight to get on. I also put a large stainless steel hose clamp around the outside. OK, not OE, but keeps the hose on. I got the hose clamps at Home Depot.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 12:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks both for the advice. Appreciate it.

Posted on: 2010/5/3 18:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Where did you find the replacement hose and how much was it per foot? Also, what diameter is it? Thanks,

Scott

Posted on: 2010/5/4 7:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The PI Southern Calif chapter sells reproduction vent hose. Looks just like the original. Very nice quality. Not sure what the current price is on it. Call the PI main office for more info.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 13:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is what it looks like:

Attach file:

jpg  (40.23 KB)
1_4be0640b5b4d9.jpg 689X364 px

Posted on: 2010/5/4 13:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Apologize for the delayed response (didn't know there was a post). I got 4 feet of hose at $12.50 per foot in 2 foot sections for a total of $50 from Max Merritt. The item # is ADH101 and it is 5" air duct hose. The good news for me in putting it on is that it didn't take any tie straps to hold it in place. It is just a very snug fit and takes some patience to get both sides slide up all of the way. I used a pair of scissors to cut one into 2 1 foot sections and since my wire snips would not cut the wire, I used a hack saw to cut the wire in the hose and then bent it till it broke.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 14:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved