Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Packard Merlin Engine V-1560
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gordon and Michael Conn
See User information
This wouldn't really fit in the pre-war or post-war categories so I hope it's fine posting it here.

Anyways, I was able to attend the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends "The Final Round Up" in September (the gathering of P-51 Mustangs that is) and as many of you all know, these magnificient fighters were powered by the Rolls Royce and Packard Merlin engines, and what a place to be, surrounded by the roar of over 100 of those Merlin engines. Anyhow, it's always bugged me to hear people refer to the Mustang as "The Cadillac of the Sky", when these birds were powered by Packard... It'll always be the P-51 "the Packard Powered Mustang" to me. (or something like that...) That engine changed a lot of things for our Army Air Corps. and played a vital roll in the WWII Allied victory. I'm just glad that Packard was able to contribute in such a way, and I wish that people had a better way to know about that history. It's sites like this that make that possible...Thanks!

Just thought it would be a neet topic to open for discussion that really is overlooked...
Conn

Posted on: 2007/10/14 19:27
1940 Packard 110 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Merlin Engine V-1560
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Conn, One of the sweetest sounds to my ears is the roar of a Merlin engine be it a Rolls -Royce in a Supermarine Spitfire or a P-51. As a kid living along the Detroit River I also had the thrill of watching and hearing the big Merlin and Allison powered hydo plane boats vying for the Harmsworth Trophy etc.
My father was in the Canadian Navy during World War 11 and served in the English Channel on Motor Torpedo boats which were powered by 4 Packard marine V-12 engines. He always spoke very highly of the reliability and power that these engines provided. Packard contributed so much to the war effort it is a shame that it's contributions are not as well known as they ought to be.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 19:55
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gordon and Michael Conn
See User information
Photos of the Packard Merlin engine, taken at the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends "The Final Roundup".

Attach file:

jpg  (52.01 KB)
141_475c3a4f9530c.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (52.82 KB)
141_475c3acaa7e21.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2007/12/9 13:59
1940 Packard 110 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Those who attended the Packard Centennial in Warren, OH in 1999 had the opportunity to see and hear a running Packard/Merlin. I don't recall who owned it and brought it, but it sure was a pleasure.

Posted on: 2007/12/9 18:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Once had a Lancaster bomber pass over my house. What a marvelous sound the 4 Merlins made!

Posted on: 2007/12/9 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
In 2005 I wrote an article about Packard's involvement in producing Rolls Royce Merlin engines. I approached the topic a little differently, talking about the Automobiles (120s, 115Cs, Sixes, Eights, and 110s) that saved the company (Packard) that produced the engine (Merlin) that powered the airplane (Mustang) that won the air war over Europe. I used this article as the basis for a lecture to the docents at the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, California. Please let me know if anyone would like a copy of the article.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 11:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
JW,

I think lots of folks here may be interested in reading that Article. If you can send it to me I can post it as a PDF in the Articles section.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2008/2/21 12:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Big Kev,

I'll e-mail the article to you. It will be in MS Word. I'll also include a chart and table. The table has the specifications for the Packard-build V-1650 Merlin. The chart displays the production of Packards and shows how few of the senior cars were made and how the junior cars dominated the production in the period covered. The cart is in MS Excel.

In the docent presentation I had about 50 view graphs used as talking points with many photos of Packards, Merlins, and Mustangs and other Merlin powered aircraft in the mix.

Thanks for the interest, and I'm glad to contribute.

J.W.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 13:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
John, thanks for sending this along. Great article. It is now posted in PDF format for everyone to enjoy. I added the Merlin table to end of the article to keep it all together.

Thanks again for sharing this with the rest of us!

Posted on: 2008/2/22 15:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terrific set of pictures, I'd not seen any of them before. thanks for posting.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 16:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved