Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

gener-ator
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Has anyone had any experience with the gener-ator? This is an alternator installed in the generator housing. Sounds like a good idea. Any idea of cost and installation problems? I would like to get one for my 55 clipper with an auto-lite system.

Posted on: 2010/6/4 20:36
 Top  Print   

Re: gener-ator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not familiar with that particular unit but here is another company having something similar for comparison. It may even be the same one. Summit, Jegs and others carry them for around $400-500.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/powergen.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-82051

Here is a review of the powermaster Power-Gen unit.

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/blog/?p=13

Posted on: 2010/6/4 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
The gener-ator uses the original housing, auto-lite or delco, and is available in either pos or neg ground according to the most recent copy of Hemmings. Iguess my concern is is it relatively easy to install and is it reliable?

Posted on: 2010/6/4 22:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The gener-ator takes your original housing and replaces the innards with a machined down alternator made to fit.

To me the Powergen seams like it would have a better life-span and support if something went wrong since it is not a hacked part, but an off the shelf manufactured item.

I believe the Powergen is much cheaper also, and you are not destroying your original generator in the event you want to go back.

Just my $.02

Posted on: 2010/6/4 22:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's an interesting idea and there appears to be a bit of work involved in the conversion. The various voltages and polarity is a plus although didn't see a mention on the output amps. Kev has a good point about not going back once done.

Here is the website for gener-natorhttp://gener-nator.com. Their price page says Delcos usually run $795-845.00 exchange and Autolites are $845 exchange so that is a pretty good investment.

Posted on: 2010/6/4 22:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
From what I have read here and there a few issues with the gener-ator is lack of capacity due to the use of compact alternators. The other issue I understand hurts this unit is reduced cooling leading to heat related failures. The biggest issue to me is the price tag mentioned by others here.

They do look neat, but seem to be in the development phase still.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 1:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't see the need, the standard generator has enough output to cover all normal needs, including A/C.

Posted on: 2010/6/5 6:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
"I don't see the need, the standard generator has enough output to cover all normal needs, including A/C."

Not meaning to be disrespectful, but if this is the case why the interest in alternators?

I'm think a/c at some point (hopefully without waiting for my lottery ticket...} and am under the impression that an alternator is critical....

Posted on: 2010/6/6 12:41
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Not meaning to be disrespectful, but if this is the case why the interest in alternators?
For the same reason a lot of folks tear out their original engine and put in a Chevy 350 ----- everyone else is doing it!
Packard had A/C in 1940. They also had A/C in 1954 autos with six-volt generators. Not sure about 1953??
An alternator will recharge at a higher amp rate than a generator, but everything works with a generator.

Posted on: 2010/6/6 13:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Not sure if this was the case with Packard, but most other manufacturers had differing generator amp capacity depending on level of accessories. For instance no power accessories was the lowest amp rated unit with a higher one for say power windows and seat, or air conditioning, and the highest output generator for cars loaded with all power options. I think often, the standard low output generators are found to be a bit under capacity with air, especially in traffic.

I see where you are coming from patgreen. I think there are two reasons for the interest in alternators. The biggest is they are solid state requiring no skills in electrical mechanical components. The other is they are available anywhere for less than $50 bucks in most cases. I would not hesitate to use the correct output generator for the correct application. I also understand that it is much more convenient to use an alternator. As mentioned, both will just fine.

Posted on: 2010/6/6 13:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved