Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 58

BigKev, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1955 400 Manual Transmission Conversion
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Nelson
See User information
Hello! This is my first post here.
Thanks to my grandfather, I recently acquired a 1955 Packard 400. It is in pretty decent shape (although not currently running). Fenders, horse collar, radiator, and both heads (among some other stuff) are all currently off of it, awaiting further work. The body is in really good shape, other than the typical rocker-panel rot (these will be replaced) and some rust on the fenders (which I also will replace). It has been a learning experience for me.
The car currently has the Ultramatic transmission. I know from my grandfather (and from some reading of my own) that the manual transmission was an option, but it was rarely (if ever) opted for.
Here's the thing--I love manuals. Regardless of the amount of work, I want to replace the transmission. I figure, if I am going to put all this work in, I may as well do this, too. However, I am insistent on keeping it stock.
Ok, all that said, I know that a manual from any 1955-1956 will work with the engine (which is original). The problem is finding one.
So, there are really two things I am looking for. First, I would like to hear any information on the parts that need changed. For example, I am aware of the following: transmission itself, clutch pedal, clutch linkage, clutch, brake pedal, steering column, shifter linkage, transmission mounts (not sure if these will need to be changed), prop shaft.
Second, I am having an EXTREMELY hard time finding a donor car! I guess this is obvious; the best option is to find a Clipper, I think. I found a tranny without anything else at a junk yard, but I do not think that will do me any good. I also found a good donor car in Australia, but with shipping costs, that is out of the question. =)
I'll try to get some pics up on my website.
Josh

Posted on: 2010/8/2 10:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 400 Manual Transmission Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Josh, a couple of years ago I was in search for a manual shift transmission V-8 Packard. I drove one in a small California Central Valley town. It was a '55 400 that had been converted to a 3-speed with overdrive. It was a great performing car, and I am sure you will be pleased with the results from your conversion. I passed on the car because it needed more work than I wanted to do. Subsequently, I found a great '55 Clipper that I had converted to a manual shift transmission. The critical secret is to have a donor car for all the parts and pieces you will need to do the job correctly. It helps to have a skilled and knowledgeable mechanic who can do the job. I was fortunate in having one of the best do mine.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/2 13:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Parts cars show up on Ebay regularly. A significant percentage of Clippers came with manual transmissions. Expect to pay $500 to $1000 for a parts car, however you should be able to recoup much of the cost by selling off unneeded parts.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 16:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
neljoshua wrote: Hello! This is my first post here. Thanks to my grandfather, I recently acquired a 1955 Packard 400........
G'day Josh,
Congratulations on becoming a Packard owner and to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '55 400 in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/8/2 16:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I did the conversion on my Panama about ten years ago. The switch is pretty straight forward. Just make sure you have all the parts and they are good. Pay attention to the shaft that goes up the steering column. The hole that the shift lever fits into gets enlarged through years of use and eventually wears so much that the shift lever won't move it. I repaired mine by welding a hardened washer into the hole. Linkage is very hard to come by. I used a donor car for my parts.

Posted on: 2010/8/2 19:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Having driven a couple of OEM manual transmission Packards, I wouldn't have the column shift linkage as as gift. It is slow, clunky, jams, wears and otherwise makes driving a pain. Convert to a floor shift and have lots of fun.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/2 22:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Jack, you are right. They over-complicated the column linkage. Never try to speed shift a Packard column shift.
I would have gone to a floor shift but wanted to retain Packard's intentions. Guess it is a matter of what is important to the owner.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 9:42
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Nelson
See User information
Wow. Thanks for all the info. I will work on getting my 400 into the registry.
Although I am not SAE certified or anything, I have quite a bit of automotive experience and am not concerned about the swap.
Having seen how the shift linkage works on a Henny ambulance that my grandfather owns (I think it is a 1952 or 53, but I am not sure), I understand why it would wear out. However, I really want to keep it stock, so I will not be installing a floor shifter. Besides that, my grandfather would kill me. He is really insistent on keeping stuff stock/original.
Well, now I have some hope of finding a parts car. I just need to keep looking...
Grandpa was saying something about the driveshafts being different, but I am not sure what. Does anyone know what he was talking about? In many of the cars that I have worked on (VWs, Mazdas, Hondas, etc), the auto and manual transmissions share many of the same components, such as mounts, shafts, etc. In this case, there is no computer to swap out, but what needs to be changed post-tranny?
Also, was there any difference between differential gearings for the 3-speed manual and the Twin-Ultramatic?
Thanks.
Josh

Posted on: 2010/8/3 11:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Nelson
See User information
Wow. Thanks for all the info. I will work on getting my 400 into the registry.
Although I am not SAE certified or anything, I have quite a bit of automotive experience and am not concerned about the swap.
Having seen how the shift linkage works on a Henny ambulance that my grandfather owns (I think it is a 1952 or 53, but I am not sure), I understand why it would wear out. However, I really want to keep it stock, so I will not be installing a floor shifter. Besides that, my grandfather would kill me. He is really insistent on keeping stuff stock/original.
Well, now I have some hope of finding a parts car. I just need to keep looking...
Grandpa was saying something about the driveshafts being different, but I am not sure what. Does anyone know what he was talking about? In many of the cars that I have worked on (VWs, Mazdas, Hondas, etc), the auto and manual transmissions share many of the same components, such as mounts, shafts, etc. In this case, there is no computer to swap out, but what needs to be changed post-tranny?
Also, was there any difference between differential gearings for the 3-speed manual and the Twin-Ultramatic?
Thanks.
Josh

Posted on: 2010/8/3 11:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Senior cars with Ultramatic offered 3.07, 3.23 and most commonly 3.54.

Clippers with Ultramatic used 3.23 for 5542-47 and 3.07 for 5522. Clippers with standard shift used 3.9 with or without OD, this data from the 1955 Service Counselor specifications.

Posted on: 2010/8/3 12:39
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved