Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 42

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Re: A Case of Identity
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Guscha, it is obviously a Renalult 50CV.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/11 20:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Isn't that the Simca Vedette, the one that used the old Ford V8 60 engine? I have an old Road and Track roadtest around here somewhere. The body is custom for diplomatic service, kind of like the stretched Cosmopolitans the White House had in 51.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Ross

I'm pretty sure your'e right, it looks familiar to me too..Wonder how many of those fancy ones they made, and how many are left. My guess is not very much and now even less.

It was good to see you again in Gettysburg

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/8/11 22:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Sorry I got late to the party but that is a Simca Vedette and they did use a Ford V8-60 power plant.

How many know that Chrysler owned a substantial share of Simca in the sixties and thus were in the unusual position of building a car with a Ford engine?

Even more outre, Chrysler found themselves building a completely different car in another country, also with a Ford V8, just a few years later. Can anyone name it?

Posted on: 2010/8/12 23:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I think the car in question might possibly be the brazilian made Chambord, which as far as I remember was in production
during the late 1960s.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
...How many know that Chrysler owned a substantial share of Simca in the sixties and thus were in the unusual position of building a car with a Ford engine?...

I do. A friend's father worked as a mechanic at the Dodge and Plymouth dealership, and they were selling Simcas for a short time. His parents bought one, and drove it for many years. Thanks for the memory.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/13 9:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Guscha is correct as usual. Chrysler had an interest in Rootes for a long time, Plymouth dealers in North America sold a Rootes car as the Plymouth Cricket in the 70s.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 10:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
I vote for the British Sunbeam Tiger with Windsor-V8 in it.

Between 1964 - 1967 Chrysler had a liaison with the Rootes group (Hillman, Sunbeam, Singer, Humber).

Funny that the Sunbeam Tiger used a Ford engine? Why didn't they use a Chrysler engine? I wonder if the venerable 318 might have been too wide?

Posted on: 2010/8/13 11:12

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Gerd, Yes the Ford distributor being at the front of the engine versus the rear as in the Chrysler "A" or the SB Chev block engine would have been an advantage in such a small compartment.

Posted on: 2010/8/13 11:48

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved