Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Re: V8 engine castings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PackardV8, just curious, what would be your thinking be that a late 1956 engine would have early 1955 heads? That would seem pretty dubious but let's see if 56executive knows the answer. The one Stokes marine conversion on a 56 engine that I'm a bit familiar with had 56-style (cast chamber) heads.

And let me add my thanks to BH's regarding the latest info from 56executive, though the fuel injection and disc brake plans have been written about before, the De Dion axle, ball joints, etc. was completely new information to me. Really interesting information!! Got any more?

Posted on: 2010/8/20 18:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
6-11-56 cast part # 440275A NOS AMC long block

Quote:
I assume that is a 320 CID engine.

Weren't all '56 AMCs the 352" 2bbl Clipper engine?

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/20 20:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a bit of a veer off-topic but as long as the Stokes marine conversions came up in this thread, here's some information about them and a photo of a restored Stokes conversion as it was readied for shipment to one of the Packard museums. Photo and document courtesy of Mr. Ole Book who also donated the restored engine, this particular one resides at the Warren Museum though Mr. Book has donated other Packard marine engines, IM-245, IM-356, IM-268 and IM-357s to each of the major museums. The water-cooled exhaust manifolds exit at the engine's front end. Unlike the above mentioned Packard-made marine engines, these were not available in counter-rotating pairs to my knowledge.

Attach file:

jpg  (146.27 KB)
177_4c6fd0b835087.jpg 1200X900 px

jpg  (137.92 KB)
177_4c6fd0c3449d2.jpg 935X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/8/21 8:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Jack and Owen for correcting me. 55 Nash had 320 V8. 56 Nash had the 352. So the cylinder head question i posed IS vacuous.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 9:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
4-13-56 cast part # 440275 vehicle 5677A-1756
Head casting dates 9-12-55 10-26-55 Part # cast 6480406

5-3-56 cast part # 440275 stokes conversion
Head casting dates 1-18-56 11-21-55 Part # cast 6480406

6-11-56 cast part # 440275A NOS AMC long block
head cast part # 6480406

Posted on: 2010/8/21 11:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Unlike the above mentioned Packard-made marine engines, these were not available in counter-rotating pairs to my knowledge.

I believe the counter rotation can be achieved with the gear box. I have seen BW Velvet Drives stamped RH or LH. I have a Santee marine conversion (352 I think) I'll see if I can find & post photos.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 16:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No doubt so, but Packard advertised that the IM-245 and IM-356 (and I believe the 268 and 357) were available with the engines in matched counterrotating pairs. I've not checked the marine parts books personally but I'm told there are LH- and RH-rotation camshafts and other necessary parts. Some of those marine engine ads are on this site - you might want to browse them.

More back on topic, I had further communication with the gentleman who gave the talk at Gettysburg that prompted this thread, noting the sale of the forge and casting plant during 1955. Though it doesn't bring closure by any means, his comments are interesting, and are paraphrased below. I was also asked by someone here if his talk was to be reprinted or otherwise made available - I have no information on that.

Please note that all of this is speculation regarding where Packard obtained their rough engine castings. Xxxxx currently has for sale a Towmotor forklift truck booklet (1955 or 1956) that illustrates Utica's use of Towmotor trucks - it shows and describes receipt and processing of V-8 blocks. Utica did NOT produce forgings or castings.

Interstate I-94 did NOT go thru the site of the Packard forge and casting operations. Studebaker/South Bend apparently did not supply castings to Packard/Detroit ..... the Studebaker Museum historian is a friend of mine (I was on their Board for 9 years), and he has found absolutely no evidence of that.

Somewhere I have read that Utica shut down at almost the same time as Conner Avenue/East Grand Boulevard. One knowledgeable Packard authority has felt that Utica also produced the Gear Start Ultramatic. Probably so, but I still maintain that some isolated manufacturing operations were still in effect on East Grand Boulevard .... including Ultramatic parts or production in Building #92. My old SAE student advisor in college (1957-61) was Forest McFarland - father of the Ultramatic - and I kept in touch with him until at least 1968. I had a Packard then (a 4-43 Eight roadster), and we became close - he would recall his days at Packard, and intimated several times that there were things going on at the Boulevard, even though the conventional thinking was to get it all to Utica and Conner Avenue.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 17:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Packard V8: I found the answer to a question you asked in this thread. August 20, 1956 Churchill announced that he felt the best solution to the Packard question was to continue the name on an interim basis through 1957 to be built on the Studebaker President Classic chassi with the 1957 Golden Hawk engine. It would cost $1.1 million in tooling for the 57 Packard. The Board of Directors approved and the work was begun for projected January 1957 announcement.

John S.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 21:01
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actually John S., it was I that asked that question a while back, in post #31. But thanks for the answer.

It might also be interesting to know the data or approximate date that S-P's board made the decision that the 57 Packard would be a South Bend product

Posted on: 2010/8/21 22:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
In latest issue of the CBN finally had one piece information that pertains to the Packard V8 engines.

It is stated that Utic built V8 engines until 7/30/56. For what it is worth Stu Blond claims that his employer has a NOS Packard 352 short block with a casting date of 7/30/56.

Owen a good thing you posted the V8 question in this forum it certainly has gotten more of a response than the same question you posted in the PAC forum

John S

Posted on: 2010/8/24 20:38
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved