Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: New Land Speed Record
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Here is another speed record that was set in October 1978 and still stands today. Ken Warby set a worlspeed record on water with a speed of 307 miles per hour in the Spirit of Australia.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (15.85 KB)
105_4a9f1bad5ea7b.jpg 640X362 px

Posted on: 2009/9/2 20:28
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

muntle
See User information
A request to the the original poster, John F Shireman if I may?

I have written a book on the Land Speed Record, and am now finalising the graphic content ready for publishing later this year. I would like to use the second picture in your original post, as I have not found a copy anywhere else, and it is perfect for my particular requirement, so would it be possible to let me know where the source was from please.

Your later poster was indeed correct, it is a Darracq V8. In fact it is a picture of Victor Hemery's Darracq before the start of his run in 1905 on the Arles-Salon road in France, where he set a new record of 109.65 mph. It was that record that Fred Marriott broke a few weeks later with the Stanley Rocket at Ormond Beach. The Darracq (which was a one-off special, the V8 being two of their standard engine blocks married to a new crankshaft) was later acquired by the Guinness brothers in the UK, and used extensively, so there are plenty of photos of it available, but I have not found one (until now) of it actually setting the record itself.

To put a little more on the bones of the other posts with regard to the steam record, in fact the British Steam Car actually raised the official record twice in 2009. On the first record run on 25th August, driven by Charles Burnett, the record for the mile was raised to 139.84mph which, although it was 12mph higher than Marriott's mile record, was actually 18mph higher than the official outright steam record; why? well because Marriott actually set two marks in 1906, the mile at 127mph and the kilometre at 121mph. Somewhat perversely, the ACF (the official record body back then) refused to recognise the mile time, but did accept the kilometre speed (the outright record can be set using either distance). Incidentally, it was Hemery who took the outright record back three years later in the Blitzen Benz that Barney Oldfield later acquired and ran at Ormond.

Back to 2009, and the following day Don Wales drove the car for an attempt on the kilometre record, which he set at 148.308mph; so the official outright steam record is now that figure. The reason the team did that was because they also wanted to beat an unofficial steam record of 145mph set at Bonneville by the American Bob Barber in 1985. The reason it was unofficial was because, although it was his fastest one-way speed, he could not manage to back-up two timed runs within the hour limit until his final attempt, which failed due to the car catching fire on its return run putting an end to his attempts.

The British Team, however, always said that they would not consider their record to be valid unless they set times beating both Marriott's and Barber's, which they did.

Incidentally, Don Wales is Sir Malcolm Campbell's grandson.

Malcolm Toogood

Posted on: 2010/8/26 5:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Welcome Malcolm: The picture Ipsoted of the Darracq V8 I fround on the internet but can't remember on what web site I found the picture. I will try and do some reseach and find out for you. Thanks for the other information you posted

John S

Posted on: 2010/8/26 16:11
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved