Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: HotRod Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I like the idea of a hopped-up straight 8. Here is my fantasy for a hot rod Packard. I would love to get a '51 - '53 coupe and "fix-it-up". A Packard '55 or '56 V-8 to start with, coupled to a Packard manual shift transmission with a floor shift. Next, I'd radius the rear wheel openings to give it that special touch. Then I would install reversed and chromed original wheels with small original-style wheel covers and black sidewall radial tires (larger size on the back). Finally a nice interior and paint to complete the whole picture. Of course, it would need to have a great dual exhaust system to announce its presence. I think this is would be a fun car. John

Posted on: 2008/3/18 12:24
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
i've been putting a lot of thought into it since i last posted.. i'm going to try my hardest to stick with the motor that it has. (until it dies.. which i hope it doesn't). it's not that i want my packard modernized, i just want it safe and reliable.

my next concern is the wiring. it's all original (or so i assume, because it all looks a million years old with cloth coated wires that are all falling apart). i saw a post about re-wiring, but i figured i'd bring it up again. so let me cut to the chase.

the whole car needs rewired. if i'm going to pull every wire and replace it. should i go 12 volt? OR.. check this out.. anyone know where i can buy the cloth covered wires? because, even though they fall apart, i think they look awesome, and have lots of style.

1 )switch to 12 volt? yes/no

2) cloth wires? yes/no

throw out some opinions and facts if you have'em!

Posted on: 2008/3/18 20:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
#1, yes. #2, no. My personal opinion, however.

Posted on: 2008/3/18 20:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
1. I wouldn't switch to 12 volt unless you plan to place a much greater load on the electrical system than you now have.
2. Rhode Island Wiringhttp://www.riwire.com/

Posted on: 2008/3/18 20:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
You can get a reproduction wiring harness from Rhode Island wiring service, Naragansett productions (also in Rhode island, same town as RIWS) and Y 'n Z's in California (they escaped from Rhode Island).
All three of these companies use modern plastic insulated wire that has a thin final outer layer that is the woven cloth used on the old 100% cloth covered wiring so you get the vintage look but the safety of the modern wire.

You can go over to 12V negitive ground if you want modern gizmos like stereos and GPS and all the other toys but dodn't let anyone tell you that 6 volt systems aren't reliable, they can be just fine (for 40 years millions of people made it to work every day on 6V systems, the auto companies got smart and realized they didn't have to put all of that expensive copper in the generator and starter and wiring harness by going over to 12V).

There are universal one-harness-fits-all jobs that are in the Summit catalogue (and other rod-heavy catalogues), they use plastic wire and are a cheaper way out.
If you want to stay with 6V let me know, there are some things you may want to check-- I'll post them on a later post.

Posted on: 2008/3/18 20:23
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
thanks guys! i really appreciate your input, suggestions, and opinions!

i've got a lot to think about, and a lot of decisions to make..

Posted on: 2008/3/18 21:21
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
With the wiring, it really comes down to what you want to do with it. For the price of a production Packard harness, I was able to by a 21 circuit GM style harness, and will be able to buy all the parts to install power windows and power locks, alternator, etc. The '54 used plastic covered wire, that was wrapped in plastic tape. The wiring color between the GM harness, and the stock Packard wiring color is 95% the same (Packard-Delco). So to the average person, they wont be able to tell anything on my car is different, expect for the Alternator under the hood. I am using Packard window switches, and everything else will be hidden.

My harness was pretty chewed up from rodents. So either way I was going to need a complete new harness.

If you are planning on doing power windows, locks, newer stereo, A/C or any other power hungry modern frills then go 12v. If you are going to keep the stock radio, and dont plan on any other modern electricals, then stick with the 6V, and just repair the existing harness.

Anyway thats my

Posted on: 2008/3/18 21:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Kev,
Which harness did you buy? I'm looking at the EZ harness and it runs about $185 plus shipping. It's all GXL crosslinked wire and each wire is labeled every 5 inches.

Drake,
If you do decide to go with a universal harness, make sure that it's made with the new crosslinked wire. It stands up better to engine compartment heat and vibration. As far as changing over from 6 to 12 volts, that call is yours depending on what you want to do with the car. I'm building a driver and because I live in the deep South (New Orleans), I definately want AC.
HTH,
John

Posted on: 2008/3/18 23:24
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This was the harness I bought. I reviewed all the different ones and for the money this was the best deal in my opinion because of the features.

http://www.kwikwire.com/wh_22Circuitstreetrodwiring.html

It has a brushed steel cover and a kill switch mounted on the box itself. Also it's all GXL wire, and it came with the headlight pigtails, alternator plug, and a couple different steering column adapters. It also uses a Maxi-Fuse on the main feed side instead of a fusable link. I gutted my voltage regulator, and hid the Maxi-fuse within its empty shell.

I bought mine on Ebay from a distributor and got it cheaper then what they sell it for on their website.

Posted on: 2008/3/18 23:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim
See User information
Drake- also keep open the option of finding an auto electrician to do the rewiring for you. My car was done for $450 dash forward- wires to rear are still flexible and good. A good guy can custom rewire about as fast as replaceing it with a harness. 1 day for mine. Best price I found on a Packard repro harness was $600 from Rhode Island Wire which is a good complany.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 12:09
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved