Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 157

HH56, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Bumper Rechroming
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hi again:

Any of you have experience with a re-chrome job from these guys? I'm getting ready to send a front bumper to them.

http://www.restorationchrome.com/

They have a Packard section price list. With ,up front, prices better than I can find here on the east coast. Their rating, on ebay, is 100%.

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/8/3 7:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Bumper Rechroming
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Erik54,

I have never used them but the prices for my car '31 is $330 cheaper then a local place that gave me a quote. But what would shipping cost me??? That may wash out the difference.

Posted on: 2010/8/4 6:02
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
You might try Hanlon-Hanlonccp@cs.com. I think I paid ~$400 for a 49 front bumper. Shipped it by UPS-which was an experience! No need to wrap- shipping cost was ~$30 for Tn to Va. They advertise in Hemmings-

If you find someone cheaper pls let me know

Posted on: 2010/8/4 10:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Well I just sent all six pieces of the front bumper out to them. their pleasant sales person, great price and lifetime guarantee sold me, we'll see.

On another subject; I'm sure some of you have re-assembled rechromed bumpers before. What is the best way of assembling these pieces to avoid scratching the bumper and voiding the guarantee?

My concern is where the bumper guards fit to the bumper, some scratching of the main bumper might result. Is there a trick here? I know I only have one time to do this right.

I've got all 6 re-inforcment plates for the backside of the bumper and the 2 re-inforcement brackets for the backside of the guards. Thanks to your help, I know where they go now.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 7:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

leaded53
See User information
cover the bumper with suranwrap and some of that blue painters tape and just peel it off when your ready

Posted on: 2010/8/9 0:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
HI:

I've been on other projects. Sorry for the late continuance of this post. I'm back again to try this.

Can you be more precise with the suran wrap and tape trick? I'm concerned with the initial alignment of the Bumperettes with the Bumper. How do you avoid not scratching the bumper until they are fastened down?

The upper rails are no problem, as the attaching points are well hidden by the rails. But the bumperettes are not.

My reason for concern. Their warranty states: "lifetime warranty unless damaged by installation".

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/9/22 12:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Did you get your pieces back from the chromer?

Posted on: 2010/9/22 12:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Yeah kev, they did a nice job.

I sent out (1) Bumper,
(2)- Bumperettes, (2)- Top rails and (1)- crosspiece, for the bumperettes. Six pieces total.

Their delivery was faster than I thought and well packed. The total price conformed to their Packard Bumper re-chrome list.

I had a Bumperette that was badly pushed in. They fixed it beautifully and took a crease out of the bumper.

Shipping was expensive between NYC and Washington State though. Be careful of your package size. They use Fedex.

I'm thinking of asking them if they can do the Pot Metal grill pieces (No price list for those). They want too much in my area. That will be a project for next year. The wife has been pretty good, I don't want to push it.

http://www.restorationchrome.com/

Warren

Posted on: 2010/9/22 14:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bob
See User information
HANLON PLATING RICHMOND VA. 804-233-2021
WWW.HANLONPLATING.COM
BEST PRICING

Posted on: 2010/9/22 14:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hi Leaded53:

I figured out the tape trick. There sure is a lot of adjusting going on. To get the Bumperettes and cross piece set, before final tightening. Without the tape, I'm sure there would be some scratches. Not a mark!! Thanks much, that's a great trick.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 10:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved