Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Packard Kangaroo Island Safari 2010
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The Packard Kangaroo Island Safari 2010 is the title and theme of the Packard Club of Australia's 2010 National Rally. With many Packards currently heading towards South Australia, specifically Glenelg which is just south of Adelaide the state capital. Rally book-in and registration is late Saturday afternoon at the Haven Marina at Glenelg where the rally participants are staying.

Our convoy group leaves this morning, taking 3 days for the almost 1,400km trip. The group consists of Wendy and Dick in their '37 115c Sport Coupe "Emily" and '39 110 Convertible Coupe "Roy" along with their Canadian friends Don and Betty, Jeff, PAC052, and Margaret in their '52 200 Deluxe Sedan, Michael, the PACA President in his '54 Convertible and myself and Kath in our '41 120 Club Coupe. We are rendezvousing at Pheasants Nest about 100 km south-west of Sydney at 9:00am. From there we'll travel 200 kms to Yass where re-fueling and lunch is on the menu. The next leg is 175kms to Gumly Gumly for our first overnight stop. Another group which set out yesterday consists of DavidM and Veronique in their freshly restored '29 633 7 passenger Sedan, Mat, Packard34, in his '34 1100 Sedan, with newly rebuilt engine, Peter and Annette in their '38 Eight Touring Sedan and Barry and Pam in their '35 5 passenger Sedan.

Depending on internet connectivity at our overnight stops I'll endeavour to post updates and pic's on a day to day basis.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 14:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Kangaroo Island Safari 2010
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Good trip had by all from Sydney to Gumly Gumly. The '41 is averaging 15.7 miles/US gallon, or 18.9 miles/Imp gallon. So my pre-rally estimate of fuel consumption looks to be unduly pessimistic now.

Tomorrow's stage is to Ouyen in Western Victoria and is the longest leg of our trip. First stop after 161kms is proposed to be Darlington Point for fuel, followed after another 245kms by a stop at Balranald for Fuel and Lunch, with the final stage for the day being the 154kms to Ouyen.

Picasa Album of todays pic's.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.98 KB)
226_4c9b32c9dca3e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/9/23 5:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Another good trip, this time from Gumly Gumly to Ouyen, although there were a few minor incidents along the way. First, Richard managed to hang-up the '39's gearshift at the Darlington Point fuel stop. And because I had some experience with this same problem in the '41 was called upon to put things right. This I managed to do so, although others present had tried what I did. Must have been a lucky touch on my part because the steering column linkages were easy to align and, Hey Presto, problem solved. The other being a bird strike on the '41, fortunately only a glancing blow, as it clipped the right side outside mirror. And Michael, following behind in the '54 tells me the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo lived to tell the tale by flying away minus some feathers only.

At Ouyen met up with the other group of 4 Packards who left the day prior to our group. They have had a few more serious problems occur on their journey so far. DavidM's '29 633 has cracked a rim and is currently running on the spare. They are leaving early tomorrow morning to rendezvous with a PACA member in Adelaide who has his mechanic on standby to effect repairs. The other problem is Barry's '35 with the battery not charging or the generator not charging the battery or something in that region. This is the same car which had a generator or cut-out problem on "The Tour to Tamworth" at the end of June but since then has had a rebuilt generator and new cut-out installed. Battery is being recharged overnight and a spare battery, courtesy of DavidM will accompany Barry for the rest of the trip.

Tomorrow's stage from Ouyen to Glenelg, in South Australia, is the shortest leg of our journey. One stop only, at Lamaroo after 181kms, for fuel followed by the remaining 204kms to the motel at Glenelg. An early departure time is envisioned so can we arrive in time to have a late lunch prior to the Rally check-in and registration later in the afternoon.

Todays Picasa Album

Attach file:

jpg  (40.80 KB)
226_4c9c8d4d2c442.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/9/24 6:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

bingster
See User information
The maroon and black up there is beautiful. Is that the '29?

Posted on: 2010/9/24 17:57
Darrin ~ 2472
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Darrin,

Sure is, and a beautiful car too!

On that note if anyone what's more pic's of a specific Packard or a specific feature let me know and I'll try to oblige. Just don't leave it too late as we're only here for 6 days and after that I won't see many of the cars until the next National Rally.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 5:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Yes please Mal. Regular updates on "old blue" and "big red" plus some info on how the 34 performs.
Enjoy the trip.
Terry

Posted on: 2010/9/25 6:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Terry,

Old Blue, '37 120 Touring Sedan, is sitting in the workshop back in Sydney for the next month.

Big Red, '37 Super 8 Club Sedan, left Sydney last Monday and is now in Adelaide waiting the start proper of the Rally and will be participating in the Bay to Birdwood run tomorrow. Did have a problem at Yass where the oil pressure regulator gasket failed and the mechanic of the shop where Wade took her, took one look and pointed Wade to the hoist, tools and equipment and told him to do the repair work himself! Which I'm sure Wade would want to do anyway.

Mat's, Packard34, '34 arrived safely in Adelaide today but with a faulty generator. Has been "patched up" and should be OK to complete the Rally. Mat has been advised to seek out a new generator for it when he's at Hershey next month.

Posted on: 2010/9/25 7:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Another good run for the final day of our journey, this time from Ouyen to Glenelg. DavidM had left about 5:00am in the '29 to reach Adelaide in time for repairs to be effected on a split rim. Big Bad Barry in the '35 also left early, before 6:00am, because of battery problems. He'd cooked a 3 month old battery and managed to find a replacement on the way into Adelaide. PeterL lent him his spare battery for that leg of the journey.

Before departing Ouyen proper, our group of five Packards were joined by PeterL in his '38 and Mat in his '34 for a photo session in front of the old pub where we had dinner last night, see pic's,. This was at the suggestion of Richard who'd seen a period pic of the hotel streetscene while in the hotel last night. PeterL and Mat then had a leisurely breakfast before making their departure while our group of five continued the journey.

We drove to Murrayville, about 100kms, where we expected to pick up fuel but the two pump operation is shut on weekends! This at the suggestion of Noel who'd stopped there yesterday and found 2 old Mack trucks out the back with chain drive. Found the trucks, real rusty relics, but no go juice. Another 28kms to Pinaroo where we refueled and had a pitstop. Then to Tailem Bend for lunch where we caught up with a group of about 6 Packards from Victoria at the roadhouse there.

Ouyen to Glenelg Picasa Album - Sorry the album hasn't been properly sorted or captioned yet.

Tomorrow is the 30th Anniversary Bay to Birdwood run with almost 1,300 1955 and prior vehicles participating, including the majority of the Packard Kangaroo Island Safari 2010 entrants.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.18 KB)
226_4c9df2502c6b9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/9/25 8:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I'm gonna jump in here and react to the perception that new generators are going to be just lined up waiting for Mathew on his arrival in Hershey. As I surely as I type this I will be proven wrong, and there indeed may be one there or one could be sourced elsewhere, but I think a better plan would be to find out what is wrong with his (and Barry's at the same time) and get the darn things fixed or put a modern alternator with built in regulator on. Barry's car is a go car, not a show car and he is probably darn sick of charging problems. Not sure what Mathews final intent is with the 34, but you can't show a car when it can't make it to the show, and I know Mathew has had enough issues enjoying his cars. I just felt someone stick a target to my back....

Posted on: 2010/9/25 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi David,

Not long until the trip to the U.S. This is the 3rd time that this generator has thrown the solder. The generator is off a 36 Packard. It has also been messed with before. The 3rd brush has been removed & a bosch (VW) regulator installed on the firewall. An alternator would sure be the best way to go, this could be an option and may be the best option if I find something to work

Other than that, the car is doing well, done over 1200 miles in the last week! More than it has done in 10 years

Cheers,
Mat

Posted on: 2010/9/26 7:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved