Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 157

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Really odd advertising for used Packards?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Absolutely.

Take this car for instance: 1956 Clipper

Now, we've all seen this exact same car listed on ebay for the past 4+ years. Same general price, same condition. We ALL know that this is a $400 car at best, and it would bring that as a parts car, but this guy seems to think he's stumbled onto a goldmine and wants decent driver money for basically a pile of scrap that should be parted out.

Here's another one, a 1952 200, same story: 1952 200

$300 at best, no more. By the time you spend the time and money to get this back to your garage, you've easily spent $800-$1000 on a parts car.

Then there's this guy, with a '30 3 window coupe body that's rusty and missing EVERYTHING for $1800. Back end cut off and doors welded shut. $200 TOPS for anyone with common sense. 1930 3 window body

$18,900 for a 1955 CLIPPER four door? What planet are you from, really? 1955 Clipper

Then we have $4000 for this, a plain-Jane 1950 Packard 4 door sedan. 1950 4 door
I really don't understand why, it needs everything and isn't a special model or bodystyle. And I LOVE how they spray painted the seats, lol!

I can go on and on about this, but I think everyone gets the idea. I do know that when I want to buy something I have to pay top dollar, but if I'm trying to sell something, it ain't worth shit to anyone.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 16:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
That second one was just all but dust...that's one of those "gimme $50 bucks and a 12 of beer and get it the hell outta here" deals.

I know how you feel though, especially when i'm at the swap meet unloading all parts. My carb or manifold or tranny aint worth 5 bucks, but you see one there spray painted or cobbled up and they want top dollar. Saw a guy selling a new edelbrock carb for $30 bucks more than summit sells the same model for and he wasn't offering a warranty!!!!

People :)

Posted on: 2010/10/31 18:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I know what you mean, I see that kind of stuff all the time. I'd rather take a little less than to haul it home and have to try and peddle it next time.

Posted on: 2010/10/31 20:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

cortcomp wrote:
The seller was asking a fair price so i did some research and decided not to haggle. Couple days later i was a new proud Packard owner!

I'm with you there. Ask a reasonable price and I'll buy--it or decide not to... but I won't bend anyone's ear about it.

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:44
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:

I really don't understand why

Of course you do, Eric, all these cars are out there for sale all the time because they're unreasonably priced, and the "seller" doesn't seem to care.

But I also wonder what's in it for the "seller" to keep advertising it? I mean, if they don't want to charge a price that somebody would ever pay, then just let the thing sit there and "appreciate" into dust. Do they like to get phone calls from tire-kickers? Is it some kind of strange hobby?

Posted on: 2010/11/2 21:57
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yeah, that's true. Price it out of range and say to the wifey, well, I TRIED to sell it, but no one wants it!

Posted on: 2010/11/2 22:01
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
I've also wondered why people continue list cars for sale with ridiculous prices and no pictures. They must have to pay to keep advertising them for sale. You would think that eventually it might dawn on them that no one is going to pay that after they keep listing it for 2 years. Maybe a few are appeasing the wife type things, but they can't all be. (by the way, I'd rather get rid of the wife)

By the way, all of those Packards are great deals compared to this. Looks nice, but worth about $6,000 - $7,000 tops.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-1979-Lincoln-Continental-Town-Coupe-2-door-/250719212126?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a6007925e

Posted on: 2010/11/3 16:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
My friend LOVES those lincolns, and finally bought a 79 2 door. You either find them dirt cheap or a million bucks! He got his, missing one piece of trim, mint, eight track works, etc, etc 2nd owner car, 30,000 miles on it. 2500 bucks. I'd love too show that receipt to the guy on ebay selling that one.

Posted on: 2010/11/3 18:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I don't think I can count how many of those I've hauled to the crusher...

Posted on: 2010/11/3 18:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I had a '77 4-door Lincoln and loved it. It had a great ride. Rust got the better of it though. When I was done with it, I didn't send it to the crusher, I sold it to a guy to use in a demo derby. Way more fun!

Posted on: 2010/11/3 21:48
[url=h
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved