Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard build sheet info
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Hello Packard folks!

I stumbled on to this place by accident and sure glad I did. I felt like the lone soldier fortified by walls surrounded by Ford,Chevy,& Mopar people. I had given up hope but now feel rejuvenated knowing you are here!

I have a '55 400. It has a stuck 352, from being parked (with a bad treadleVac back in 1972). It has 72,000 and was told it ran great when it was parked. I have acquired another running Packard 352 for a transplant planned for later this spring.

I have poked around and found a build sheet taped to the back of the glove box liner. I was wondering if anyone knew, or could direct me to a place that I could use to decode the numbers/letters on this ancient scroll.

Thanks,

Don

You can ask me.....I own one!!

Posted on: 2008/3/31 21:33
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard build sheet info
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think Brian (BH) maybe able to decode most of those numbers. I am sure if you post a scan of it, he may be able to shed some light on it.

Posted on: 2008/3/31 22:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
BigKev,

Hello,

I can't scan here at home, but I will type out what I see here on the paper:

5587- (circled in wax marker)
GL
HEUH- (underlined in was marker)
RUE- (underlined in was marker)
BU
PS
EWL- (underlined in wax marker)
ST- (underlined in wax marker)
SF
TLS..
Handwritten in was marker is "Turq"

and hand written under it all is "R R"

Hope I have given you all the right Letters.

Don

Ask me....I own one!

Posted on: 2008/3/31 22:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Don, welcome to Packardinfo. Glad to have you aboard. I have a 56 400 and really enjoy the car. You will too when you get it running. Have you pulled the plugs and tried to turn over the engine by hand using the harmonic balancer bolt?? Dump some PB Blaster in each cylinder and let it soak in. Maybe you'll get lucky. Above all, don't try to solve everything by yourself. There are many of us here who are glad to offer advice and perhaps we've already had the same problems.
Don't forget to add your 400 to the Owner Registry.

Posted on: 2008/3/31 23:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I think the first 4 items are in the same order as those on my '50 build sheet. If so they would decode as:

5587 - Model: The Four Hundred, Two Door Hardtop
GL - Paint Code: Moonstone over Turquoise
4766 - Production Sequence Number
84 - Trim Code: Black Cloth and White Genuine Leather (Turquoise Robe Rail)

I'd only be guessing at the rest.

BU - Back up lights? Baggy Underwear?
PS - Power Steering?
TLS - Torsion Level Suspension?

Posted on: 2008/3/31 23:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Don -

Welcome to the best place in the world to research Packard questions. Even if we don't have an immediate answer, just asking here, publicly, might help draw more information come out from under the woodwork.

I am working on a couple of tables for the site that will explain the build sheet option codes for 55th-56th Series. I don't have those quite ready for BigKev and don't have the files at work, but let me give you what I know from my own cars, along with some help from paint chip sets and parts book references - both of which are available here, free for the download:

5587 = 55th Series (1955) Four Hundred hardtope coupe

GL = two-tone paint, Moonstone (G) over Turquoise (L)

4766 = sequenced, serialized number (starting from 1001)

84 = interior trim set, black cloth and white leather with turquoise robe rail (for 55th Series only)

HEUH = fresh air heater, defroster, and front underseat heater

RUE = three-way tuning radio with electric antenna and rear compartment speaker

BU = power brake

PS = power steering

EWL = electric window lifts

ST = four-way power seat

SF = Solex (tinted) glass with shaded windshield

TLS = torsion-level suspension

The handwritten "R R" sounds like someone signing-off on the build.

As far as optional equipment, I suspect that a lot of these Senior coupes were built this way for '55 - second only to the Caribbean convertible that year.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 8:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Thanks BH,BigKev & Randy,

The info has certainly been great to get. I have tried to break the engine free. First with PB blaster in the spark plug holes, letting it soak and trying to bust it loose with a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt. Than I tried Diesel in the cylinders. Than I pulled the heads off and tried to pound them with a chunk of wood. This engine is just seized up real good. I plan on swapping motors and than dismantle the original engine and slowly rebuild it and than swap it out again at a later time.

Where do I get a good engine kit? I have read on here about a melling oil pump? What mods are absolutely necessary to make my Packard a good reliable runner?

Thanks,
Don

Posted on: 2008/4/1 9:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Forgot to thank Jd in Kc! so thank you too.

Don

Posted on: 2008/4/1 9:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Try Terrill Machine or Egge (they advertise in Hemmings and Packard publications) for your engine parts. Contact Robert Aller (12-11 N.E. 144th St., Kearney, MO 64060) for one of his oil pumps.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 10:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved