Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine dies after exiting freeway--1950 Std. Eight
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
Hi, all

I have a fuel problem that I'm having a hard time figuring out. I have a 288 with a Carter WDO carburetor. I often drive on the freeway at sustained speeds of 55+. When I exit the freeway and come to a stop at the end of the off ramp the engine always stalls. Always--unless I put her in neutral and keep giving it lots of gas.

This doesn't happen when I'm cruising at lower speeds on city streets and stop at stop signs or traffic lights. In those cases the engine backs down to idle just fine.

The condition does not seem to be related to the engine's heat--I don't think vapor lock is the problem. I have also loosened the gas cap, in case the vent hole to the gas tank was plugged and I had a vacuum. No difference there, as well.

My car's mechanical fuel pump seems to work fine and I also have an electric auxiliary pump. The car stalls whether I have the electric pump turned on or not.

Any ideas you can give me on this one would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Mark in Seattle.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 20:57
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine dies after exiting freeway--1950 Std. Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you have to pump the gas or just open the throttle to keep it going? Assume standard shift?

Posted on: 2010/11/7 21:26
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
I pump the gas and/or open the throttle.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2010/11/8 1:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Make sure carburetor bowl vent is not plugged. Does it only happen in hot weather or cool weather too????? If the bowl vent is plugged up then gasoline should be oozing from the carb at various places. The condition u describe could also be a float setting that is too low.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 8:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
To me it sounds like a carb related issue. Perhaps something is sticking.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 11:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know it's farfetched but kind of wondered if somehow the choke or general airflow was getting sucked closed too abruptly after the drive and slowdown. Maybe the large sudden increase in vacuum was overpowering the thermal spring. Opening the throttle would also open the air flow or choke linkage. I know some earlier engines had throttle dashpots for a similar reason.

Other than the idle circuit don't see what is left and if idle circuit (or choke either for that matter) were bad, then why not happening all the time.

Posted on: 2010/11/8 12:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Used to hear about this problem "back when". It was usually traced to an idle problem; either too slow speed, or the mixture too rich or too lean. Try adjusting the idle speed and mixture to spec and see what happens.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/8 15:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

UPDATE: Engine dies after exiting freeway--1950 Std. Eight
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
Hi, All,

Just to let you know...I solved the problem by buying and installing a rebuilt Carter WDO Carb. I dinked around and dinked with settings on the old carb for many months and finally gave up. For less than $200 (Tucson Packards) I got a unit that runs like a champ.

ALSO...I have installed an in-line fuel filter (the car never had one, to the best of my knowledge), and am hoping not to have carb problems in the future.

All the best,

Mark

Posted on: 2011/2/4 18:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved