Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 236

Ross, BigKev, Patrick, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Disc Brake Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
It's been a while since I started the process of brake system modernization, but the deed is done and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

I started with Craig's method of a modern dual diaphragm booster - dual chamber MC with a remote fill reservoir that mounts in the original BTV location. Just a small effort to get the toe-board to line up with the new booster/MC attached. Just a little fancy language and it's in.

The next task was to fashion the new brake pedal assembly to achieve the required 3.5:1 pedal ratio. I used the brake pedal and mounting bracket from a '54 Pat found in a local wrecking yard (they had about 5 models '51-'54 to get parts from). The brake pedal has the 'Easamatic Power Brake' lettering along with a stainless steel bezel. The bracket is 2" in height and needed to be joined to another 2" bracket to achieve the 4" height requirement. The pedal is curved the wrong way, but the bracket allowed it's position to be far enough to the left of the gas pedal to work.

The brake lines were not an issue as the rear line was just manipulated into the mc. The front brake line was replaced with a new 20" steel line that was easily bent into place.

Last equipment installed was the remote fill reservoir that was attached to the side of the battery tray. What a convenient location to fill and inspect the brake fluid level.

Finally the system was bled and inspected for leaks.

Wow...what a wonderful feeling of firm, powerful brakes and no worries about stopping this heavy beauty.

Thanks to all of you, I have my baby back!

Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (57.64 KB)
2993_4ce211bc15079.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (54.34 KB)
2993_4ce211cbeda72.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (57.47 KB)
2993_4ce211d8ecb11.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (67.60 KB)
2993_4ce211ea9ec56.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (69.93 KB)
2993_4ce211fe508a1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (60.17 KB)
2993_4ce2120bc244c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.14 KB)
2993_4ce212218772e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (61.58 KB)
2993_4ce2129e38002.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/11/16 0:10
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
What's that like to drive with the pedal in that low of a position?

Posted on: 2010/11/16 0:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Bob,

Gee, that looks familiar! I'm sure you'll quickly adapt to the new pedal position and throw. In any case, the peace of mind of having brakes that work first time, every time is worth the change!

It does appear that your pedal is in a slightly different position than mine, so I've included a picture for direct comparison. BTW, my actual pedal leverage computes to 3.7:1. (click on picture for enlargement):

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/11/16 6:43
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Turbopackman wrote: Quote:

Eric,

You've driven my 55 Pat and I don't see that much difference in position between mine and Bob's (bhappy). I look forward to Bob's response.

I've let random valets drive my Pat for valet parking in Las Vegas and none of them even so much as commented on the reworked pedal position. However, valets always commented favorably on my Pat's appearance and sex appeal. Many times, for display purposes (their choice), they would just drive it from valet drop off to the front of the hotel rather than the valet parking lot. That's one of the main perks of owning and DRIVING, i.e., having a safe, driveable, Packard!

Craig

Posted on: 2010/11/16 7:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:

It's not to bad, just need to know the brake pedal position prior to driving. Being knida short (5'5" fun size), I have plenty of room to adjust the seat. Also I don't need a block on the pedal
I used to drive a Volkswagen Van with a similar brake pedal height, so it's not too much of a difference.

I did have the original brake pedal altered by having the pedal pad re-welded higher and to the left on the shaft. The bracket, as it was constructed, places the pedal about 1/2" lower than Craig's pedal assy. As such, that proved to be a problem as the pedal hit the floor before the mc's travel engaged the back brakes. That's why I went to the '54's pedal. I like the way it has the wording and the bezel (kinda looks 'factory').

Bob

Posted on: 2010/11/16 8:27
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Nice installation. Congratulations.
Just out of curiosity what made u decide to go with the toe board mounted system as opposed to Erics Ford Explorer system mounted thru the firewall air duct hole????

Posted on: 2010/11/16 10:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I had a hard time with the used equipment that I was able to get (bad boosters and mc's). I did look at buying new equipment and ran into the mounting plate creation issues (tried to use toe-boards from those 51-54 Packards). I went through 2wo before deciding to go with the lower mount. Keeping the air vent was a bonus as well as the location of the reservoir.

Had I gotten better used equipment, I think that I would've finished and gone through the air-vent hole (it's just more conventional looking, both inside and out).

Bob

Posted on: 2010/11/16 11:06
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The bottom line is:

Does it work first time and every time? If the answer is yes, then you have a successful adaption and install.

At least you will be driving your 56 Clipper around when other guys with BTVs will be trailering or garaging theirs.

LOL!

Craig

Posted on: 2010/11/16 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
How true you are. Mine will be driven whenever I want with the confidence of knowing that it WILL STOP. Once you're in the position of having NO BRAKES in traffic (it WILL happen with the BTV) you'll know what I mean.

Regardless if you do Craig's, Eric's, or another's method, JUST DO IT for safety's sake.

Bob

Posted on: 2010/11/16 11:54
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Mine will be driven whenever I want with the confidence of knowing that it WILL STOP.

Amen, brother.

Posted on: 2010/11/16 15:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved