Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

What's the best Packard for a newbie?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
When I was a little kid (I'm 52 now), my dad had Packards - a 1947 Clipper Deluxe, a 1937 115 sedan (it never ran while he owned it), a 1940 110, and a 1951 250 (?) convertible (the 1st convertible I ever rode in! ). So I've been a fan for a long time (and an auto history buff/fan of orphan makes to boot)...

As an adult, I'm a realist - I'm NOT a hardcore mechanic and money IS an object!

My dilemma - I'm also intrigued by '55-'56 Packards, the V-8, and especially the torsion-bar suspension. I can picture a 400 in aqua and white sitting in my driveway......

But AS a non-mechanic, is an early 50's straight-8 Packard better to start with? Or to dream BIG, a 1947......?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Posted on: 2008/4/3 13:07
 Top  Print   

Re: What's the best Packard for a newbie?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm a bit older but share your sentiments. Also grew up with a 47, a pair of 51's and at the end dad brought home a 56 400 the dealer was practically giving away. Alas, Mom said no 2 doors. That 56 is the first Packard I fell in lust with.

Inherited one of the 51's through HS in early 60s and I can say, if a car ever had a rougher life, I'd pity it. It had been cross country several times before me and the things I did to "that old mans car" should be a crime. It hung in and was still going when I graduated so that is a strong point for that era.

Having said that, I've had (and have) V8s with all the doo-dads and no problems to speak of. Granted, they are a bit peculiar electrically in some aspects so the average mechanic will throw their hands up and either say it can't be fixed or mess it up trying. That's a major down but the fact you have something different is a plus and with sites like this, you'd be surprised what you can take care of. The elect and TL aside, V8s aren't too different mechanically than the other era.

As far as dreaming big, the 47 is an exceptionally fine car too. Everything straight forward so I think your choice would be more to what you'd really like to see in the driveway and to be seen in.

Posted on: 2008/4/3 14:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Ferguson
See User information
MIdan
There are as many answers as there are Packard people out there. Myself, I like them all and wish I owned at least one of each. My wallet says no but my eyes say yes.
I'm a "Keep it Stock" guy. To me seeing an old beauty chopped to pieces and running a engine other than the original is a crime. I like original interiors and paint jobs.
The grandkids and myself have other fun with them. We hand built a 7 foot gorilla for the back seat that has a remote fart machine in him and have a ball at car meets. His name is Black Jack the Garage Gorilla and wears a top hat, spats, and other goodies. This month we have him dressed up as a pimp, and we are now making him a shall we say partner.
Its all a love of labor. Unless your a mechanic, things will break and need attention, but thats part of the fun. My oldest grandson is becoming a pretty good mechanic and it gets me away from the TV and him off the computer.
Buy the best you can and get your hands dirty just like the rest of us. The people here have helped me keep mine running and are a great group.
Good Luck and keep us informed of your choice.

Posted on: 2008/4/3 15:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
As a fairly new owner of a 56 Clipper and not a master mechanic either, I have found that people on this website are more than knowledgeable in the workings of most Packard automobiles. There are somethings that I have been able to fix on my own and some that I have gotten advice from here on how to check and /or repair. Other things I have farmed out to others that know much more that I.
Just trust your instincts, Something that you might want to look into is finding a mechanic that let you put 'sweat equity' into the job. That way you'll gain more knowledge and even save a few bucks.

Posted on: 2008/4/3 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Pre-war cars, particularly after 35, should also be considered. They are very reliable, easy to work on, and generally you can find parts. The trick is trying to make sure that nothing drastic has been done to the car before you buy it. But that is the same regardless of age.

Also, they are often not more expensive, at least for closed cars.

Posted on: 2008/4/3 23:58
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The Clipper models of 1941 to 1947 particularly the short wheelbase models of 1946-47 would be excellent choice for a first time Packard owner. The styling is timeless and the cars are simple and reliable. Parts for the 288 engine are readily available. There are some areas where rust might be a problem but otherwise they are solid but that is true of almost any car.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 8:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with Clipper47, but I think that similar mechanical simplicity can be found in the prewar 110s and 120s, and all the postwar Packards, junior and senior, thru 1954. If I had limited resources and was not particularly mechanically inclined, I'd probably recommend you limit your choices to postwar (simplier front suspension) and standard shift.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 8:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
IT's hard to beat a Bathtub or '51-'54 for simplicity, if you just go for a stick-shift car (no electro-tragic clutch). They are pretty simple, not much more complicated than anything else made in those years.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 15:02
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M@Ross
See User information
I had never tried to work on a car before and didn't even know the function of most tools let alone the workings of a motor before i found my Bathtub. That being said, with comon sense and very knowledgeable people the car is running again and i understand a reacognize the workings of the machinery. If the wireing were to just disapper, although i would be greatly annoyed, I could put it all back in with out much difficulty. I can't speak on the later models though. Go with your gut and time and effort will work out the rest

Posted on: 2008/4/4 15:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
i have a '53 clipper. i haven't run into anything that i couldn't do by myself at home. this is my first REAL project car, so i dont have tons of experience. i have found every part that i needed with ease.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 20:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved