Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: JD's 1941 180 Limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have zero experience with the hydraulics, but just from general experience I don't think a seal would last and perform for long on that shaft. I guess the traditional solutions would be to spray-metalize or electroplate to oversize and machine back to standard. If the worn section were on the far end then cutting undersize and sleeving would work, but i can't see how you'd do that now, unless you machined the entire shaft undersize and used a full-length sleeve. I'll bet the shaft is hardened as well. I wonder if any super-hard polymerics might work on that section? If so, one could knurl that section to promote adhesion of the polymer.

Posted on: 2010/11/19 9:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I pretty much agree with O_D on longevity but it might be worth getting some fine grit crocus cloth--not emery cloth--and oil, then spin the shaft while doing the polish and see how much it will smooth out. If there is an improvement and no deep pits and if a seal can be found with the lip resting in a slightly different spot, it may work.

http://www.goodson.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=3140

Posted on: 2010/11/19 10:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have a suggestion after looking at post #19 and the photo showing the shaft. Would a Speedi/Redi-Sleeve work if you could find one the right diameter and length? Just a suggestion.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/19 11:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If it was me I'd have the pits filled in by your method of choice, welding, etc and then have the shaft hard-chromed. It'll outlast you then.

Posted on: 2010/11/19 12:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks gents. Four viable suggestions to run with. What a great website!

Posted on: 2010/11/20 11:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
... If the worn section were on the far end then cutting undersize and sleeving would work, but i can't see how you'd do that now, unless you machined the entire shaft undersize and used a full-length sleeve. ...

O_D, I was thinking a sleeve would work since the gear and bearing are further out on the shaft. A sleeve would not need to be full length, just long enough to cover the damaged area.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/20 12:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like a thought worth pursuing. Sleeve the rear postion, which may or may not require a different seal ID, depending on the change in OD of the shaft, and the amount of tolerance in the seal. Is the seal a simple lip seal, or something more elaborate? Go for it, and keep us posted.

Posted on: 2010/11/20 14:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I just received an email from these folks. They have hydraulic window and top cylinders. Worth a look.
http://store.convertibleparts.com/

Posted on: 2010/11/23 15:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jack Behn up in CT used to manufacture new pistons and other parts for the prewar hydraulic windows; he passed away some years back but I wonder if anyone picked up with tooling and skills? Anyone know?

Posted on: 2010/11/23 15:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think Hydro-E-Lectric may have--or else did their own. There was an e bay store listing repro prewar cylinders and solenoids from a Florida company. I found that link when Gerd and I were talking ZIS windows but couldn't remember the company (wasn't the Hydro name). All the links went with Gerd, but Hydro also is in Fla and JD has confirmed they have & still sell them.

Posted on: 2010/11/23 16:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved