Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 157

BigKev, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 Antenna
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Fred, the black block to which I'm referring is a spacer to keep the mast off the body. The head on look is chrome. I don't have a close up available.

Posted on: 2010/11/18 9:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote: I believe the factory cowl mount antenna mounts through a single shield-shaped black plastic block fairly low on the cowl. Yesterday's Radio repro's the piece as I recall. The 120 coupe looks like it has an upper and lower mount, but as West says it's hard to tell from the photo.

It is clear in the photo that the cowl mount antenna is two piece and therefore incorrect - as is the senior bumper on this junior car.

Yes, the black plastic mounting block is available from Jerry at Yesterday's Radio. The chrome plated "spear-point" base of the antenna is available from Don/Dan Sommer at American Arrow in Clawson, MI. The 1940 base & spear are different from the 1941 base & spear. You can use about any radio mast to fit into the correct base.

Wish I had a photo of mine to show you.

Posted on: 2010/11/18 20:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
if this attachment works, here the part as Roger describes

Attach file:

jpg  (30.40 KB)
1020_4ce6971e2a0b7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/11/19 10:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
To Bkazmer:

That is a photo of a 1940 antenna mount. As you can see the antenna mast is laid on top of the base(s) and held in place by two, round-wire straps.

The 1941-(42?) antenna has the same general shape, but the "spear" is triangular/tent-like shape and the antenna enters a hole at the base of the spear instead of being laid on top. As the antenna mast is inside the "tent" you cannot see the two, round-wire straps on the 1941 version.

Hope this explains it better. My 1941 is put away in storage and I cannot get to it easily to photograph it to show you a comparison.

Posted on: 2010/11/19 14:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
You know we got off Demon's topic of a ROOF mounted antenna and have been talking about a COWl mounted antenna.

I looked at my copy of the "Pacakrd Accessories for 1941" and they talk about a "new Rotary Antenna" as if it is new for 1941. It would appear that this is the preferred correct antenna for all models, both junior and senior. They do mention a cowl mounted antenna (naturally), "..for use on all convertible model cars." Please see the attached scan. The booklet did NOT show what the cowl mount looks like.

Any other type of antennas on a Packard would not be a PMCC approved accessory and therefore "incorrect" although it might be "period."

Hope Demon can find the Rotary Antenna he is looking for.

Posted on: 2010/11/19 15:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
I do not know why the scan did not appear. Let's try again.

Attach file:

jpg  (98.30 KB)
436_4ce6dae1d4c02.jpg 734X768 px

Posted on: 2010/11/19 15:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Interesting Roger! I know mine was on the car when Dick Evans had it some years ago (the mast is newer), but I was unaware of the info you shared. Perhaps we will get to park next to each other somewhere next spring so I can compare. I suppose there is the old "using up old parts" line but I don't know the car's history when new - it did come with a factory radio.

Posted on: 2010/11/19 15:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Bkazmer:

Would be happy to park along side-by-side for a comparison. Drive on over from Grand Rapids for the Spring Open House at the PPG.

Remember, these are accessories and many were installed at the dealer and by the dealer from his source of stock. Unless you had a copy of the factory build sheet you cannot tell for sure when and where that accessory was added to your car.

I would even bet that more than one dealer used non-Packard approved antenna mounts because he could get them cheaper/faster from the local parts store rather than waiting for PMCC to send out the "approved/correct" mount from Detroit. This may be why my 1941 came with a factory radio, but an after-market antenna with two (incorrect) mounting points. At my first show I got points deducted for an incorrect antenna mount and fixed it shortly thereafter.

Posted on: 2010/11/19 16:03
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved