Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 147

Packard Don, todd landis, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Ivory Steering Wheel 48-54 Reproduction Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
My first two Packards were 1954 Caribbeans and they both had ivory steering wheels for whats thats worth. I remember several other cars back then that had ivory wheels also. I won't fall on my sword for this one though as I am starting to forget more than I remember in my old age.

Posted on: 2010/11/24 16:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Its a question for sure. White is listed as one of many colors for 54--although only for the Pacific and Caribbean. What's interesting is the deluxe wheel for 48-53 is the only one called out as being plastic. Again, even though Packard didn't list it, bet there were lots installed on 54s. The translucent ivory would probably look more upscale than painted white.

Posted on: 2010/11/24 16:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I own a 53 Patrician and the white steering wheel was falling apart in my hands so I found a black steering wheel to temporarily replace it. When I get back to the car I will want a white steering wheel. So count me in as wanting one of these if/when you do make them.

Posted on: 2010/11/25 1:43
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Fred,
I agree with Joel, at $300-$350 I think you have a winner. At $450-500 the market still exists but is significantly smaller. Count me in for one for my 51 Patrician 400. We appreciate your help!
Mike

Posted on: 2010/11/25 11:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Happy Thanksgiving All

If it's a correct accessory for my 54 clipper deluxe, I would be interested but I have 2 other projects for the car to fund first (so it would be in CY 2011). Assuming $300 to $350.

I have noticed a high demand for emblems but a high priced short supply. There seems to be the only game in town. Could this be an area where you could possibly diversify? thanks - Frank

Posted on: 2010/11/25 13:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Fred, You can add me to the list of the interested.The wheel on my 51 300 is in poor shape. brian

Posted on: 2010/11/26 9:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fred, if the "ivory" material that you're thinking of doing is the same as the wheel on the 48 Custom 8, perhaps you'd also consider the matching pieces made in the same(?) material, the hood latch handles, direction signal handle, and the gearshift knob. Many of these have shown similar deterioration as the wheel itself. Why not do a matching set?

Posted on: 2010/11/26 11:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Talk about Packard steering wheels,the Soviet cars steering wheels (ZIS,GAZ,MZMA) suffer under the same problems but in some cases its even worse because once the decayng of the plastic starts it can not be stoped. For a reproduction Soviet car steering wheel they ask 600-700 USD per wheel, here and a NOS wheel was sold for 900 USD last year.
The reproduction wheels are many kind some are made close to the original but others are more like a home made improvment.
Sorry for the off topic.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 11:33
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you examine the deterioration of what I'm calling the "ivory" wheels (48 Custom 8 and others that used the same wheel), it seems that it's a combination of shrinkage (usually a gap at the upper hub) and ultraviolet deterioration which is very pronounced at the upper outer (towards the windshield) segment, and far less where the material is more shaded from the UV. This seems to manifest itself more as deep crazing rather than shrinkage. Certainly modern plastics have improved dramatically in mechanical properties and resistance to UV, etc. But those wheels were quite elegant with a quasi-translucent appearance and a real "ivory" (as in tusk) color.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 11:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Exactly Owen, also humidity is one thing that is the catalyst in the decayng process. I have seen many ivory wheels that have decayed rapidly to exposure to UV light and humidity in less then 3 years+ all the other factors you mentioned.
But the thing is ,if the wheel is decayng it emits a funny vinegar like odor in to the cabine.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 14:53
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved