Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Pckrd320, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Oil Filter Lines
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Your belts are gonna squeal like a pig when you turn your a/c on. You don't have enough belt wrap to drive your a/c compressor. Otherwise, it looks damn good!!

Posted on: 2008/4/8 20:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

H Glynn Elliot
See User information
John,

These are of the box from under the hood and two shots from inside.

Ihave been considering a longer belt and aback side tensioner for the AC compressor. It's probably going to be a necessity.

Glynn

Attach file:

jpg  (46.24 KB)
287_47fc1b6589bac.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (44.63 KB)
287_47fc1b957e0f7.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (54.75 KB)
287_47fc1bda61864.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/4/8 20:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
So I think I got it all plumbed, but one nagging question I have is whether the 51-54 filter oil filter setup use an inline restrictor to keep more oil feeding the upper gallery instead of being dropped back into the pan through the bypass filter.

If so, what does it look like, and where does it mount? Also if someone could tell what size the restrictor orifice is I would appreaciate it.

I asked Dan Yocum that question once before and he doesnt ever rememeber seeing any special restrictor, or smaller orifice "T" it his collection of parts.

Dave (Owen) gave me the idea of making a restrictor by filing one of the fitting elbows with solder, and then drilling out a smaller passage through it. I guess I may need to do that if indeed I am missing the restrictor.

Posted on: 2008/4/9 16:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kevin, in those few cases where I've taken note of an inlet restrictor, it's in the inside orifice of an otherwise standard looking brass elbow. No difference from one you buy in the hardware store until you peek inside.

Posted on: 2008/4/9 17:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I've read threads here and elsewhere that mention the flow restriction for the oil filter. When I got a used canister from Kanter I noticed that the only way for the oil to flow out of the canister was via one small hole in the center tube which connects to the bottom brass fitting. This hole is smaller in diameter than the input/output brass fittings. I figured that this smaller hole would provide enough of a restriction in flow to keep the hydraulic lifters well supplied in the bypass arrangement. Anyway, after checking, there is still good oil flow to the lifters with the filter installed.
This all applies to a '50 356 with an older canister and may not be at all applicable to your '54 and its seemingly backwards labeled canister.

Posted on: 2008/4/9 23:00
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I was wondering if that hole in the center post was the restrictor or not.

Posted on: 2008/4/9 23:07
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Sorry to jump in here at this late date but I was looking at the pictures of the master cylinder modification you made and noticed what looks like a brazed joint in the swing arm. Was the arm cut and then brazed back together. If so I question the strength of the brass. Maybe it should have been welded. Wouldn't want to see all this good work go down the drain the first time you really need the brakes and the arm breaks off.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 23:02
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bob are you referring to the pics above posted by Glynn?? or something I posted?

Posted on: 2008/6/9 23:36
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I was looking at the pictures posted by Glenn. Maybe I'm butting in but it sure looks like the break peddle swing arm is brazed together. Not a good idea.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 0:39
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

H Glynn Elliot
See User information
Bob,

We should realy be on another thread. I'm realitively new to this discussion group. It does appear in the photo that it is brazing, however that is a stainless steel tig weld and likely stronger than original. i wanted the original pedal showing and the lenghthad to be correct.

I may move in to the modifictions discussion now that things seem to have quited down in that area.

Glynn

Posted on: 2008/6/10 19:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved