Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard engine numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Hey Packard friends,

I have been going over the Packard V8 that I picked up for my 400. I have also been going through the Packard Service Manual. I was wondering if there were any obvious differences between the 320, & 352 that I might look for. I hope that I didn't purchase the wrong motor.

I have been scraping the block looking for #'s that would tell me if it was a 5540 or 5580 series engine. Are there any numbers? Where should I look?

I am a Ford restorer, this is my first (of many to come!) Packard. The more I get into this car, the more I appreciate the Packard Motor Company. These guys were great with design, both mechanical & aesthetic. What a car!

Thanks,

Posted on: 2008/4/9 22:46
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard engine numbers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
On the front of the engine, to the driver's side of the oil filler tube, is a pad where the engine #'s are. Scrape it clean and tell us the first 4 digits.

Posted on: 2008/4/9 23:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Well, a big thanks to turbopackman, I have found it!

Here is the number: 5587 3594

So, This must be a 352 out of another 400 right? I wonder what happened to old "3594"? Maybe a barbaque grille? Or a set of golf clubs?

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes, 5587 makes it a 352.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Do have any plans to remove the oil pan??????????

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Yeah, I plan on doing a thorough one over on it before trying to run with it. It is supposedly a low mile (58,000) runner. From reading all the previous posts on the oil pump, I think I had better check it out. I found Randy Bergers posts on the oil pump in a motor he was going through very helpful. Damn I love this forum.

Are there some things you think I should look for when doing this? Also, what kind of engine stand will hold this engine? I don't want to bolt it up to a standard one with the trans flanges. Thats a sure way to break the hell out of it I imagine/ Or end up with broken feet.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The engine weighs 700 pounds. I've had them bolted to the trans flange no problem using a chap 750 pound rated stand. PREFER a 1000 pound rated stand. If u don't mind spending the extra movey of about $200 u can get a stand with a gear driven turning head which is even more prefered.

When u get the oil pump off let's excamine it very closely. Do u have a digital camers???

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The authorized Packard engine stand grabbed the block from the side. Like you, I wouldn't want to put the weight of that engine on a stand designed for lighter, smaller blocks. A friend of mine did but he had an added brace up front that was supported by the two legs of the engine stand. That way the engine was supported front and back.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 21:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I have a 1000lb stand here at the house, and I have access to another from work. Maybe I could have one on both end and work it like a rotissure. I'll figure something out I guess.

I do have a digital camera packardV8, and I'll be droping the pan sometime Saturday. I'll document it and post it on the forum and you fellas can tell me which style of pump I have.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 22:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If the engine was touted as good condition then initial disassebly should be done as an inspection only procedure. Remove the valve covers and oil pan. If the bore and rods look/feel ok then plastigause FRONT and middle mainbearing seperatly. If it all looks ok i would not do any further dissasembly from the bottom other than the oil pump (maybe).

Next inspect the valve guide wear and the seals. I doubt that the seals are good and those will probably need to be replaced. MOST likely the guides are worn too.

Bottom line: make the inspections. If it all looks good there is no point in tearing it apart. However, at 58K miles i would think that new rings and bearings would be a good idea as well as timing chain. Tear into it easy and lets see what the inspectioon process obtains.

Posted on: 2008/4/10 22:02
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved