Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Paintdaddys 54 sportster
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gear-Star Ultramatics were used at the very end of the '54 Production run. They are very similar in operation to the 55/56 Twin Ultramatics. The two easiest ways to check for a Gear-Start is either the traditional underhood transmission dipstick (instead on the under car one used on the previous ones). Also the gear selectior quadrant. '54 Early (and prior years) are PNHLR, Late '54 (Gear Start) are PN'DLR.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 21:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
My trans selector has aPNHLR ,the dipstick is accessed from the floor but someone over the years has added an under the hood dipstick as well.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 14:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the original ultra plus a dipstick under the hood, many would appreciate a picture of how it was done. Some have asked if it was possible using the later oil pans.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 15:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
this is what it looks like

Attach file:

jpg  (71.86 KB)
3297_4cf2cfa8bd3db.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (58.37 KB)
3297_4cf2cfbacf747.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (135.18 KB)
3297_4cf2cfccf2e7a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/11/28 16:55
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Someone brazed in a bung approximately where the one is on a gear-start. Sweet. Looks like that should work nicely.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 21:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does look good. How does it compare with the real one location wise & how long is the real one vs the add on. Did the add on look like it used a regular Packard stick or something modified from another brand? Any dimensions would be very helpful to have on file. Several who are tired of having to crawl under might be interested in this.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 21:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
The part number on the dipstick is 1361594.I researched it to a 64-67 buick trans.Im assuming the tube is from the same.I will say that there was a slight descrepancy in the two readings .The previous owner made sure I knew that.I would think that could be fixed by lengthening or shortening the tube.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 19:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Honestly, this is a bit of work for something like this. I've been thinking it over while my tranny is in the shop and here's what i theorized:

I was thinking along the lines of a universal flexible shaft dipstick.
(hot rod shops have them in different lengths, and you can run it up and attach the steel braided dipstick tube to the firewall.)

Like this but not a $100 one:
Dipstick

A standard chevy or something regular may work if the bent tube and length isn't bad. Now make sure the ultramatic is exactly at it's full level. Take the dipstick out, and use a rubber pipe reducer with 2 hose clamps to connect the dipstick tube to the larger dipstick hole on the transmission. Put the stick in, pull it out, and mark it with a chisel where the full mark is. Done and no need to drop the pan or do any brazing or drilling!

Edit:

Like one of these:
coupler

Posted on: 2010/11/29 19:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
paintdaddy for including your '54 Clipper Deluxe Sportster in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 23:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Sportsters were available in all three trim levels of the clipper line. i have personaly seen one example of each. some of them including one pictured in the "packard motor car photo archive 1946-1958" even had the panama script on them. which would make sense due to the fact that the spotster was supposed to be a special model marketed towards those who wanted a panama but couldn't afford one. my Sportster is a delux trim car, but has "clipper" scripts where the "panama" scripts are normaly. My car also left the dealership with a pre '53 sr 327-9 main drivetrain installed per the owner's request.

Posted on: 2010/12/25 18:39
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved