Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Repairing a water temp gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
my 39 120 water temp gauge was not working. I saw an article on how to repair the mechanical gauges on the internet - just google that phrase. Basically you buy a donor gauge from Napa, O'Reily, who ever. Cut the wire off the old gauge, about 2-3 inches from the unit. You will have to smooth out the cut, as the only way I could cut it was with a side cutter. Take a very fine awl and open up the hole in the tubing that you just crushed by cutting it. Clean it and tin it with a small soldering iron (not the propane torch), making sure that you tin it about a 1/4" or so from the end. You don't want solder in the hole. Next take the donor gauge and put the sensor bulb in a container of water and freeze it solid. Take a small lenght of copper tubing, with an interior diameter of 1/16" or so. I had to buy a oil pressure sending tube set and cut of a piece about a 3/4" long to make a splice. I couldn't find any small diameter tubing,so I used the gauge kit. The tubing is just a bit too small - I drilled out the interior with a 5/64" bit which is one size up from 1/16". After the donor sensor was frozen solid, I cut the protective wire off sufficient to expose about an inch of the tube. Make sure to give yourself plenty of tubing to fit your car! I tined it, and joined the two tubes with the copper splice tubing. After checking the joint visually about four times, I put the ice bound bulb in a pan of water and heated it on the stove. Suprise it actually works! Total amount of funds $34, plus some time and touch up paint for the needle on the old gauge. I now have a nice looking gauge that works. Try it!

Posted on: 2011/1/31 19:43
 Top  Print 

Re: Repairing a water temp gauge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
A tip of the hat to you Mr. Grubbs for attempting a task that would have halted a lesser soul. I am impressed and salute you!

Posted on: 2011/1/31 19:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - but I think redoing a gauge is slightly less difficult than restoring a Caribbean! I'm still kicking myself over missing a chance to buy a 53 Caribbean in 1974 for $3000 because the carb needed work....Oh well

Posted on: 2011/2/1 14:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Well, if want a second chance at another kick, there is a 53 caribbean in Florida on the net now for $8500....but I'd guess the carb needs work on that one too.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 14:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
David,
Nice article on the dealer for The Packard Club! Still remember the tour you set up for Packards North Texas to look at the Greyhound buses.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 21:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks -that was a fun visit. Unfortuately all of the old buses are now in Los Angeles. Now that might make a fun tour, taking old US 66......

Posted on: 2011/2/2 11:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved