Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

BigKev, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Auto-Lite Generator Number
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I want to get the correct Auto-Lite generator for my 1950 23rd series deluxe 8 Packard with 288 engine and Ultramatric. Does anyone know what the correct Auto-Lite number is?

Posted on: 2011/2/6 23:33
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Re: Auto-Lite Generator Number
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
1949-50 series 2300,Std. & Super 8

Original one: 1102715

Service Replacement: 1102811

Sorry no info on Autolite ones.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 23:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I agree with the information from BigKev, I believe the correct generator for your model would have been the Delco 1102717. The Autolite generators were used on the Customs and the Super Deluxe Convertible. This is per the Parts Manual. Maybe there was a running change but I don't remember seeing one.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 23:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the 23rd lineup from service counselor Vol23 #5. The complete specs can be found in that issue.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.53 KB)
209_4d4f7ea53f2cf.jpg 1075X422 px

Posted on: 2011/2/7 0:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
So much for my memory. I should have known that if anybody could find the answer... HH56 would.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 0:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Thanks folks. My generator nameplate says "Chrysler" on it. That does not seem right for a Packard. I assumed Auto-Lite would be the brand because the other electrical parts are that brand. However I know Delco was another brand used on the 23rd series at least for the ignition system.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 10:52
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I used to wonder why Packard engineers went to the trouble of designing different electrical and power steering units for different models. Then it occured to me that this gave them an out if either supplier went on strike or tried to gouge Packard. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2011/2/7 12:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think you are right. There may have been some cost or prestige differences but think the big one was try to never get locked into one supplier.

If you read thru the service counselors, there are several articles on how they had to temporarily revert to something or issue a service part or rework instructions to enable use of something else because of strikes.

A recent thread on 50 Ultras is an example. After introducing the 9" Ultra direct drive clutch assy & improvements, a few hundred cars later they had to revert back to the old assy because the clutch supplier went on strike.

I imagine being a mechanic or parts guy back then must have been interesting looking for suffixes, symbols or dabs of paint to tell what was installed temporarily vs a permanent running change.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 12:18
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Fred Puhn wrote:
Thanks folks. My generator nameplate says "Chrysler" on it. That does not seem right for a Packard. I assumed Auto-Lite would be the brand because the other electrical parts are that brand. However I know Delco was another brand used on the 23rd series at least for the ignition system.

I have a '47 Super Clipper parts car with the 356 engine and the generator also has a Chrysler identity tage. I assume this is also an Autolite manufacured part. The distributor and the voltage regulator are Delco. I am almost certain these were not factory alterations. Over the years when these cars were just cheap used cars parts were often replaced with non original parts especially after the company and the dealerships closed.

Posted on: 2011/2/7 13:21

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved