Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Proper air cleaner for 352 V8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Lets muddy the water a little. Sometime ago I saw a factory drawing of the decal that was to go on the
55 Caribbean bat wing. It was a Vee and looked the same as the one the rear cover of the Packard Sales Brochure. Anyone see one of these? I have one on mine, but I am sure its not original.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 14:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Isn't this the same question you previously posted on the "Batwing" thread? I did give some information there, as best I know - it still remains a bit of a mystery at least in my mind.

See the photo of the decal in that thread.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 14:22
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mseanowen
See User information
Hey, guys, I am in Baghdad right now and the network is so slow probably 20 more people will write in before mine gets to you, if it gets there at all.

I have a '56 Clipper Super and the car appears original in every way. Although it has a Carter carburetor it uses an air cleaner with dual scoops, which I thought was the wrong one. I had the opportunity once to swap with another '56 Clipper which had a cleaner exactly like the one in the picture posted by Owen_Dyneto. It wouldn't fit due to clearance problems with the Lehigh AC compressor. Wasn't much, but it interfered just enough I couldn't get it on.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 2:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's interesting, as the parts list does not indicate a different filter for use with A/C. Your A/C is a factory installation?

PS- and you be careful over there!

Posted on: 2011/3/8 8:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Nothing about alternate air cleaner in the highly-detailed, illustrated, 1955-56 A/C Install Guide that HH56 provided for our archive, either. That document is a real eye-opener - much more work than I ever imagined. However, the subject vehicle shown in the illustrations was a Sr. car.

Exactly where was the interference on the stock air cleaner??? IIRC, you can rotate the upper body - the snorkel doesn't have to point exactly forward.

Posted on: 2011/3/8 10:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Msean writes:
"I have a '56 Clipper Super and the car appears original in every way. Although it has a Carter carburetor it uses an air cleaner with dual scoops, which I thought was the wrong one." ...

I'm a little confused. Is that to imply that the dual scoop air cleaner actualy fits the Carter with NO interference at the AC compressor????

Posted on: 2011/3/8 11:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mseanowen
See User information
It has the trunk-mounted (dealer installed?) AC with a Lehigh V compressor. Paperwork shows that the car was sold new in Arizona with AC. The compressor sits where the oil filter would on a non AC engine. The round air filter at a glance appears to be much smaller than the dual scoop, however the measurement from the front of the filter to the carburetor (Carter AFB 4 bbl) is less on the dual scoop filter than on the round one. If I were home I could take a picture of it, but unfortunately the situation doesn't allow.
It didn't matter how you indexed the round air filter it lacked enough clearance to drop onto the carb, about half an inch. I have seen various brackets for the Lehigh compressors, but I doubt that mine is unique. My Clipper was stored for most of its life and I have no real reason to believe that the filter has ever been changed. If it has, there must have been different sizes of round air filters. The one I tried to swap with was also a '56 but a non-AC car.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 0:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Since the parts list does not show the substitution of a different air cleaner for factory A/C installations, the apparent conclusion is that the dealer-installed (or after-market) A/C either used a different compressor or a difference in the mounting position, such that a substitute air cleaner had to be mounted.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 9:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"The compressor sits where the oil filter would on a non AC engine. "

ok. where does the OIL filter mount???? Does the OIL filter mount to the AC bracket toward the rite side of the car or does the OIL filter mount somewhere else or eleminated????

Posted on: 2011/3/9 10:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"...a Lehigh V compressor"

Is it a 2 cylinder or 4 cylinder compressor???

Edit: That may be difficult to judge. and on second thot mite be a moot point.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 10:21
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved