Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Light Eight (900) spring shackle pin lube?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

I am replacing the spring shackle pin rubber bushings on my light light eight. Should I apply any type of lube to these bushings during installation. Obviously I don't want to put anything on them that will degrade the rubber.

As a reminder, this model did not use the Bijur lubrication system. In fact, this was the first model to not use the Bijur system since it was first introduced.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2011/3/10 11:20
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: Light Eight (900) spring shackle pin lube?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, try some brake fluid if you need lubricant.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/10 11:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
An excellent question. Don't think Packard ever mentioned anything maybe because anything completely suitable wasn't around. I had a mechanic friend who absolutely insisted upon a silicone spray for almost every piece of rubber he installed. Claimed it lubricated and protected the rubber from drying. Some of the other car forums also mention using a silicone grease for various rubber including bushings.There are several products on the market making claims for ease of installation to prevent scuffing, dryness protection, UV & ozone stability etc. I would think that if friction characteristics are not a factor, then something to keep it from drying and cracking wouldn't hurt.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 11:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The natural hysteresis of the rubber shackle bushing is a contributor to the ride quality and they should not be lubricated. If you must lubricate them to install them, that's another matter but you might consider something that's more temporary in it's effect - a light spritz with the original formula kitchen PAM (soy lecithin) has worked well for me on rubber shackle bushings and similar situations.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
As I remember you have everything well painted. If so and if all you are looking for a lubricant to assist in assembly, then why not try just plain water. If that doesn't work, tire shops use water with a little soap (Dawn should be a good choice) to improve the slipperiness. Soapy water doesn't seem to bother the rubber on tires.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 1:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

Thanks for the help. I have the rear pins for the rear springs re-bushed. I used a light silicone grease as suggested. Dave, nice use of hysteresis.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/3/17 13:17
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved