Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 107

BigKev, 29tons, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What do I need to know to change shocks?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I bought a new set of shocks (from Fred; thank you) for my Patrician. A friend has offered the use of his lift (frame lift) and his two left hands. Like mine, they both contain mostly thumbs.

Is this safely doable by rank amateurs? What do we need to know? I should point out that we know how to lift the car; please remember that this is a frame lift, so the wheels will be dangling.

Do we need any tools beyond appropriate wrenches and possibly a hacksaw?

What are we liable to install upside down, or backwards, or both?

We have the shocks and whatever came with them; I assume the hardware is all new. Anything we should also change/do?

Specific torquing settings?

The obvious thing to do would be to replace as the previous units were installed: given the age and history of the car I want to be sure I am not repeating any previous errors.

This is as exciting as your first turn through the cemetery actually at the wheel!

Thanks for your patience here!

Posted on: 2011/3/14 15:01
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Re: What do I need to know to change shocks?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Shocks are one of the easier components to change, even for an amateur, especially with a lift. It's a simple remove and replace on the fronts.

The only caveat on the front is do not overtighten the top nuts (squish the rubber grommets). The caveat on the rears is that you may need to support the rear axle as the S-bars (inverse Watts link) may not support the dropped rear axle assembly, i.e., it will hang by the rear shocks at maximum extension. By lifting the rear axle assembly some, it will unload the pull on the shocks so you can get them off and new ones on.

Standard hand tools are all you need, but an impact wrench is useful. The 56 front shocks are a "T" bar on the bottom, so it not possible to install them upside down. The 55s have straight connectors on each, so the inner chrome rod goes up. The rears cannot be installed upside down. There is no right or left hand.

A little PB Blaster applied to the nuts will persuade rusty parts.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/3/14 15:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I have been told that it is hard on a torsion-Level Packard to lift it with a frame lift. I only use drive-on lifts for my 55 and 56 Patricians. Have others hear this?

Posted on: 2011/3/14 15:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Sounds doable and I have some blaster. thank you!

The caveat with frame lifts is to turn off the TL and not lift by the bars...at least that's my understanding.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 16:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Myself and all the other 55/56 with T/L Packards in the area use a shop with a frame lift. Just be sure to disconnect the battery before lifting, or make sure the T/L is turned off. No problems.

But you'll probably find it easier to change the front shocks with the car on the ground, just jack up, block with a jack stand, and remove the front wheel - it's all right in front of you. I've done the backs as well with the car on the ground, but not quite as convenient but still pretty easy.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 16:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
A tip for the rear shocks is to undo the bottoms first. Then, instead of trying to wrench off the top nut in the limited and awkward space available, hold the top nut still with a box wrench and then spin the shock with a vice grip or by hand.

Picking up on something you said in a post a while back, I'm wondering if your key ride problem is that your car sits too low--judging by the photo by your name, I'd say it certainly does. It looks like its almost sitting on its snubbers. While you have her up on the lift take a look at the vertical pins that are just next to the front shocks, count the number of grooves on them and report back.

Nothing will spoil the ride of a TL car like (1) bad upper inner bushings, or (2)sitting too low as a result of sagged bars.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 19:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is a little bit of problem here using a hoist to change shocks. U will need (most likely) some jack stands made for hoist work. Put them under the axle / control arms BEFORE REMOVING THE SHOCKS. This assumes that the hoist is NOT and axle contact hoist.

The problem is that once the shocks are removed then there is nothing to keep the axle/control arms from dropping lower than what it will allow a shock to extend to to reconnect. ***** THis is especial true on the rear axle. *****

If it is an AXLE/control arm contact hoist then the above does not apply.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 21:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
While the car is up in air take an hour an give it a good inspection from front to rear. Look at the verticle TL links located on the front suspension. THey are directly inboard of the steering knuckle about center of the lower control arm. COunt the RINGS or grooves (if any) on the left and rite TL links and record them.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 21:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
RE my lowrider....when the picture was taken the car had two ring links. It now has 4 ring links (not that easy to find) and sits about right. I forget the rule, but the skirts bisect the hubcap hexagon where they should....

The parade pic was also taken with a load in the trunk and back seat and a full tank......

Thank you for the suggestion.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 21:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Upon reading Patgreen's starting post about shock absorber changing, I realized that a very handy special tool for removal/installation of the post-type shock mounts might not be such common knowledge to everyone.

The socket, which is open on the top, is inserted over the post and fitted over the retaining nut. The handle, the ends of which are broached in oblong holes of two different sizes (one each end) to retain the flats on the post, is inserted thru the top. To use, hold the handle and rotate the socket with an open-end wrench to remove/install the retaining nut. Very handy tool, I've seen it on tool boards at parts stores and it's often seen at the larger flea markets for $2 or $3.

EDIT: Applicable to 1951 and newer Packards.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.57 KB)
177_4d7f77cf9047c.jpg 1200X799 px

Posted on: 2011/3/15 9:29
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved