Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 141

Alvin14, packardbill, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Pertronix - good price
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I decided to buy a Pertronix ignition for my '49. After checking pretty much everywhere for the best price on a model #1585AP6 (correct for my 288 with 6V positive ground), I found a place that sold it for $94.

That's significantly cheaper than anywhere else I could come up with, so I checked with them to confirm the price. They say it's still current, so I've ordered one.

I never bought from the people before, so I'll report if there are any problems.

They are Helmar Parts, in New York. They appear to be mainly a truck parts supplier.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 12:54
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Pertronix - good price
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... They are Helmar Parts, in New York. They appear to be mainly a truck parts supplier.

Jay, at the moment they appear to be mainly invisible but that link will help.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.60 KB)
757_4d499e2319a1e.jpg 590X441 px

Posted on: 2011/2/2 13:10
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

walkerman
See User information
www.helmarparts.com

1-800-621-3414

1585AP6--$94.00

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
What all do you get for your $94? I'm thinking about going electronic with my '41 Clipper (282) too... What about your coil?

Posted on: 2011/2/5 16:12
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
You can use the same coil You get the digital module, pickup trigger thing, and plate.

There are 2 distributors you can have in your 288, delco and autolite i believe. The pertronix kit will only fit one of them, forget which. I put at later 327 dist in to fit the pertronix unit. The other unit has a whole breakerplate that moves to advance, and it rides on a couple ball bearings.

The one that it does work in has a stationary breaker plate.

I believe both distributors have the same curve, i couldn't tell any difference between driving with either stock.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 20:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I installed the Pertronix ignition unit last night.

After looking at the current wiring setup, and then comparing with the diagram furnished with the Pertronix, I instantly realized that they had gotten it wrong.

The physical installation was a piece of cake. Took about 30 minutes, most of that time trying to get my work light in just the right place.

Of course, the engine didn't run after I wired it up the way I knew it should go. I went to bed discouraged, then decided what I would do. I thought about it all day long at work today. Yes... I would go home and follow the directions that came with the kit.

It's amazing how lucky smart those guys at the Pertronix factory are. They got their directions right the very first time.

In a more serious note, now that the car is running again I think I need to revisit the timing. Ran out of time for that tonight. Had to help the wife drag tarps of leaves back to the burn pile. Tomorrow evening I'll time it. I thought I heard a little pinging when I took it out.

I have to say that this Pertronix seems like a good, solid, no-nonsense unit. And I'm happy to be away from the need to worry about sourcing condensers, points, etc, etc.

Jay

By the way, there's a Studebaker guy that has a nice webpage on how to install one of these on a six volt, positive ground system. Here it is...

Posted on: 2011/3/21 18:51
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
I was able to purchase a Petronix Ignitor electronic ignition through the Pacific NW Region, Packards International, PO Box 205, Snoqualmie, WA 98065.
They do have a web site and provide a number of items for our Packards. They advertise in the PAC Magazine, also.
I have a 47 Custom Super Clipper with the 356 engine and the Autolite distributor. Cost was 95.00

They were able to supply me with a 356 Valve stem guage.

I haven't installed the unit yet, as I am in the process of reassembling the engine, rebuilding the front suspension and steering, redoing the wiring in the engine compartment and then re-install the front clip on the 47.

I live in Northern Minn, Still a lot of snow on the ground,
but today there is a spring snow storm on the way.
When it's cold out, I don't spend time in the garage.
It's been in the 30's this week, so am getting back to the Packards.

The Pacific NW Region does this as a Club Project. I like to support the Packard Clubs

Posted on: 2011/3/22 14:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
I just installed a Pertronix on my '41 160. I had to reverse the pick-up before it would fit in the distributor and had to drill out the hole for the pivot pin one size larger. The tech support from Pertronix was excelent, they seemed very knoledgeable. I get much faster starts with this unit. I think it has a much hotter spark with the matching coil. Well worth the price.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 6:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,

I call Helmar and got the price for the 1183 for the 1956 Packard 5680. $88.00 plus shipping. Thanks for the info.

Jerry

Posted on: 2011/3/24 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I'll be curious to know if you have any perceived performance benefits. Let us know what you think. I still have to reset my timing.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 12:29
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved