Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Double Flared Tubing
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well the time have come for me to start running new lines to just about everything (fuel, brakes, tranny, vacuum, oil, etc). So I need to go buy a flaring tool. Does all of the compression fittings on the Packard use a standard 45 degree double flare? Are any lines use a single flare?

Also do any of the lines use a 37 degree flare?

I am just trying to cover all the bases here.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2006/12/18 12:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Double Flared Tubing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
All of the brake lines that I've replaced on my '55-'56 Packards had the 45-degree double upset flares.

I'm not sure about the steel fuel and vacuum lines as I haven't made of those yet, but do know the tube for the choke heat pipe is swedged for a slip fit the exhaust crossover fitting.

Not to drift off-topic, but I've attached a pic of a great tool to help form the tubing without kinking.

This is K-D Tool's #2189 tubing bender, but the one I have is from Plews - looks identical, but has red vinyl-coated handles. I picked it up from a "tool trailer" at a swap meet several years ago; perhaps Plews sold out on this one to K-D. To date, this bender has done everything I needed - except for a very tight 90-degree bends, close to the fitting, on a later model car.

Attach file:

jpg  (4.78 KB)
103_45d2a17d06dbe.jpg 300X167 px

Posted on: 2006/12/18 19:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
There is NO vehicular application for single flare. That is to say, any all and every tubing flare for vehicles requires the double inverted flare. This is due to both pressure issues AND VIBRATION issues. Therefore AVOID stainless steel lines etc. As for the 37 vs 45 degree i'm not sure. My double flaring tool has done them all that i've ever needed across many applications and i believe it's 45 degrees but would have to double cheque to be sure.

Posted on: 2006/12/18 22:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Recently i noticed one exception to the double flare. It was on a Al. toyota air-con line. I was amazed that such a high pressure line would have only a single flare. I Havn't had a chance to check any GM air-con lines tho.

Posted on: 2006/12/18 22:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks for the information good to know. Do use guys use all steel lines? I want something that is going to stay nice looking under the hood.

Posted on: 2006/12/19 13:56
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I used to think stainless was the way to go, but I have to agree with Keith about avoiding stainless steel lines. Getting stainless to seal against cast iron seems to pose a problem.

Bending your own lines is not that hard, with the right tools, but be sure to get a good quality flare tool and make a couple of test flares to confirm that it works properly. I have one that the dies didn't quite line up perfectly, and I freqeuntly got leaky connection as a result.

Getting back to materials, if you use DOT 5 (silcone-based) fluid, you minimize the problem of moisture being drawn into the system and causing the steel lines to rust form the inside out.

However, do NOT use DOT 5 in any ABS brake system.

Also, NEVER use copper for brake lines.

Always use double-walled steel lines for hydraulic brake applications. Tubing with polyvinyl fluoride coating is now available, but I would avoid that, too, as the coating tends to crack at bends, holding moisture, which leads to rust. I am fine with the traditional zinc-plated stuff, but have used some spiral shield (as found on modern cars) to prevent road rash in highly vulnerable areas.

You should be able to get 25-foot coils of double-walled steel tubing from any reputable parts store. The stuff sold in coils seem easier to bend and flare than the pre-flared straight pieces that are available in assorted lengths. If you use the latter, be sure to check with the store to make sure you get the rigth type (45-degree double upset) for your car.

Some people use copper for non-hydraulic lines and some even paint it with alumminum-colored paint. I just use steel for everything.

Posted on: 2006/12/19 20:15
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks, thats good information. I wasn't aware that stainless had the kind of problems is does. It seams like every show I go to they are all using stainless now.

Posted on: 2006/12/20 12:53
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
SS is TOUGH material. Difficult to form, machine or fabricate. Usualy special heavy duty tools and eq. are needed. If general application tools are used and IF they do the job they will not last long.
SS has become a fad more than anything else. Especialy SS brake parts. SS is VERY SLOW to dissapate heat. DOes that sound like a good material to use in brake systems???

Posted on: 2006/12/20 21:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When u see alot of SS at shows then just remeber, it's a SHOW.

Posted on: 2006/12/20 21:49
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Are the fuel lines single flared? They just appear that way to me looking at them.

Posted on: 2007/1/14 16:12
-BigKev

Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved