Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 172

Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Runningboards 1937 115C Question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tom Beaver
See User information
I am in the process of having my runningboards restored. The question came up as to whether there was some type of rubber gasket between where the boards bolt to the front fender and rear fender as well as the side to the body. I cannot find in Steele's catalog any evidence of such a gasket nor does Kanter carry any such thing for a '37 115C. Unfortunately, the boards were removed and stripped of rubber some time ago. I do not recall any such gaskets and recall the rubber on the boards to be more a vulcanized process rather than matting. I tend to think the rubber was formed over the edges acting as the gasket preventing metal to metal contact. Can anyone shed any light here? Thanks so much for your help.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/4/12 17:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Runningboards 1937 115C Question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

johnpoly
See User information
I have a '40 120, not a show car. No one sells running board rubber for this model. I had the boards sprayed with Rhino lining. They look great! As far as gaskets are concerned I used little rubber donuts to fill the space between the boards and the fenders. You can use the gaskets provided for garden hoses for this purpose. These keep water from attacking the fenders.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 17:41
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tom Beaver
See User information
Thanks John. I am having these done by a guy in Alberta, Canada. He is using a very thin layer of rubber matting and then spraying several coats with a material that looks and feels like rubber and supposedly wears like iron. He will extend the rubber over the 3 sides to act as the gasket...I will post some photos of the process when I get them...

Posted on: 2011/4/13 14:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I've seen good results with spray polyurethane, but it won't duplicate pattern that wasn't echoing thhe steel pressing. I don't think anyone sprays rubber. There are rubber kits that are adhered to the steel - some have gone out of production. The rubber is vulcanized but that's not how it was stuck to the steel.

Posted on: 2011/4/13 16:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved