Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: What do you do for car shows?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
Here's a framed display I dreamed up that has worked well. I printed out one sheet (8 1/2 x 11) with the most basic of details of my Packard, with the Packard logo at the top. This allowed me to use a large font size so people don't have to squint. Below the sheet, I have featured an authentic Packard stock certificate from the same year as the car (obtained off of eBay). I bought an inexpensive frame with matting, already cut with two openings in which to mount the two documents. People who drift by seem magnetized by the stock certificate, and I have yet to see anyone else try this idea. Of course, finding a stock certificate issued in the same era as the car becomes increasingly difficult the older the car is. Most I have seen are from the 40's and 50's.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 20:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
In good weather, I will go to one or two car shows a week. However most shows I won't go for the posted hours as they are too long. I usually come late which works well with my 32 Coupe Roadster. I usually end up getting invited to park in a prime spot. I learned quickly. I used to come on time and leave early, but that pissed some people off because I wouldn't be there for the awards I would win. I like spending 3-4 hours at the most at a show. I laugh at the goofballs who show up at 7 AM for a 3 PM start time.

I just have a small card in the window. It's actually a greeting card with my Packard on the front. Inside I put the specs. I can give them the card if they are interested in contacting me further. I bought the card from a website with a watercolor of my car. I found a few people are making money off of my car

Greeting card 1

Watercolor

Greeting card 2 - the one I bought

Grill picture - cool

If you put "greeting card" and the make and year of your car, you might find someone has taken pictures of it at a show.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 21:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I have noticed that when people see something to read, they'll stop by and read it. I have a small piece of paper that I put on the driver's side wing window that says:

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
352 V8, twin utramatic, 12V Pos gnd.
Torsion bar suspension with auto load levelers
Cost $2782 new

The paper is half of a 8 ? by 11 and sits in the glove box. When it wears out, I print a new one. I also like to show off the load leveler feature. Many people are amazed at how it works and that it still works and are happy they stopped by.
When I drive my 1940 160 Sedan I have no information for it, but I am working on it.
People do ask if they can take pictures and I let them. I also try to get out of the picture they are taking.
I work every other Saturday night and my wife lets me go to a car cruise when I get a Saturday off, sometimes she even comes with me.
Yes I see too many muscle cars, but not many Packards as I have the only one there. I get lots of comments and I answer a lot of questions. There have been a few nights I had to leave the car to relax because many people stopped by and asked questions or made comments. I love the stories.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 23:39
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

tbirdman wrote:
If you put "greeting card" and the make and year of your car, you might find someone has taken pictures of it at a show.

Sure enough... It's definitely Agnes (my '50)

I go to as many local shows as I can. I don't mind the row upon row of muscle cars, rat rods, hot rods, and heaven help me resto-rods. Having the only, or one of the very few pre-60's unmodified cars makes me stand out and I get a lot of folks looking.

Here's what I stick in the left rear passenger window. I know the statement about the Ultramatic is off by a year and I'm completely re-doing the card (although technically my '50 is a re-numbered '49 so...). I find it necessary to describe Packard as a company because only a few people at the local shows I go to have ever seen a Packard or know of the company's impressive history.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 120.38 KB; Hits: 54

Posted on: 2011/4/21 0:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I also do quite a bit of touring. I belong to the local Packard and HCCA club. The HCCA club is more active on tours so I've been hanging around with a bunch of Model Ts and Model As

And as Portandon wrote, I wonder why some folks need to touch the cars especially the ones that rap their knuckles on my fenders to see if they are real.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Lots of nice approaches!

The greeting card thing amazes me. Our club has printed postcards, with club info on the back.

I haven't had any touchers (that I've caught). Around here you find your car filled with paper notices or car shows and sometimes chatchky like two liter bottles of obscure colas. Been working on my door locks for reasons like that.

In theory, both sides are tyhe same size........

Attach file:

jpg  (68.77 KB)
2488_4db067917010a.jpg 402X311 px

jpg  (72.27 KB)
2488_4db067ac606c4.jpg 509X334 px

Posted on: 2011/4/21 12:03
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I never had colas being placed in my car. I don't mind car show flyers being put in my car. I actually do a web site where I post all of them. Though I've read a white interior on a rainy day can be a problem if the inks run.

With the T-Bird, I also used to give out business cars with the T-Bird on the front, and facts on the back. I just laid a stack of cards so people could get them if they want them. I ha dmy contact info on them in case they needed some info. I know some car owners are so pushy trying to get a trophy that they will push things like their car info into your hands. I despise the hard sell. I tend to sit in back of the car minding by own business watching out for kids on skateboards or bicyclists. However always open for questions. I'm always amazed at bicyclists who find it's ok to park their bike next to your car unaware of the danger of someone bumping it into your car. Or those bicyclists who feel it's ok to ride between the cars with their bikes. The better shows will ban all bicyclist and other things like skateboards. I also tend to shy away from parking lot shows unless they allow more space than a regular parking space. Plus being on asphalt is no fun. Grass is the king!

Posted on: 2011/4/21 13:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
As Randy stated we attend a lot of events. My feeling is that stock regular cars attract more atention than all the muscle and pony cars which show up by the dozen. Rather than the rare stock car like Randy's 400 which show up as singles .
Also when Randy explains and shows the operation of the TL self leveling people are impressed.
What is nice to do which we do is if a younger person is really interested its nice to let them get a good close look at your car as it may help get a young person interested in our hobby. All of us car nuts started out as children who someone sparked the interest in cars. This is why a lot of us are now going through our second childhood with old toys which we drive work on and show. Its nice when someone comes up to you and says they like your car. If you have pictures of before and after even better.
Now if the rain would stop here we could get on with the shows!

Posted on: 2011/4/21 16:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What is nice to do which we do is if a younger person is really interested its nice to let them get a good close look at your car as it may help get a young person interested in our hobby. All of us car nuts started out as children who someone sparked the interest in cars.

I agree! When I see a mom or dad with young kids that are really interested, I often let the kids sit in the driver's seat, wiggle the steering wheel, etc. The look on their faces priceless, and mom and/or dad are always very appreciative. Of course I DO watch carefully - the kids have to be relieved of their soda, food and/or ice cream before climbing aboard.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 17:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I agree with most posts. At the car shows I have attended (fewer recently), women of all ages seem to love sitting in the back seat of my 55 Pat. The mohair trimmed upholstery coupled with the "vast" legroom with foot rests and grab handles/strap and fold down arm rest seems to invoke memories of the prom or other formal occasions of which they have fond memories.

However, when the T-L kicks in, the wide-eyed response is priceless!

Craig

Posted on: 2011/4/21 18:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved