Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil in filter canister?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi everybody, I did an oil and filter change yesterday and didn't suck all the oil out of the filter housing... I guess a turkey baster would be good to suck this 1/2 quart of oil out to get rid of all the old oil...Is this what most people do?

Not to start another debate, but as another reference point for anybody wondering, I used 15w40.
Aufwiederlesen,
Mike

Posted on: 2008/5/18 5:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil in filter canister?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Mike -

Willkommen! (I really don't speak the language - just know a few bits and pieces.)

I use an oil suction gun (see image below) to get most of the oil out of the filter cannister, followed by disposable toweling to blot what's left. Then, I check for and clean out any gunk in the bottom.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.78 KB)
103_4830590b5a04e.jpg 400X200 px

Posted on: 2008/5/18 11:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
SAE 15W-40 is a very, very popular choice in the hobby. We try to get the API Spec CI-4 or CI-4+, now discontinued, because it has a higher level of anti-wear additives. The current CJ-4 has a reduced amount, but if it's of concern you can purchase ZDDP (the additive) separately and add it back.

Posted on: 2008/5/18 14:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Yeah, I guess one of those pumps would be good for sucking out the old oil, and it is really the best way to get new gear oil in the trans also. I'll have to put that on my wish list.
-Mike, I also had to calculate, 7 quarts is 6.6 liters

Posted on: 2008/5/18 15:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Troy
See User information
My oil canister on my 52 has flexible lines. I disconnect the 2 bolts that attach the canister Bracket to the block and dump it in a coffee can. Then clean it and remount it. Empty the oil from the crankcase first, that way you should get all the oil out of the lines as well.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 7:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Sorry to be so slow to read your post. I am an old timer. Therefore, I tend to use what Packard specified ( as close as I can). I use straight 30 weight Castrol HD. I suppose multivis is OK. But, I don't use my cars in the winter so I find the single weight works just fine.

Posted on: 2008/5/24 16:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Drake
See User information
i used an empty gear oil bottle with a piece of fuel line stuck on the end and sucked it out.. then dabbed the rest out with an old sock..

i think i used 15w/40 as well

Posted on: 2008/5/27 0:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved