Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Overdrive Lockout Cable source
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
I recently replaced the R-11 OD lockout cable in my 1950 Standard Eight. My old cable had become rusted and just wore out.

After much searching, the only source I could find was Seattle Packard, owned by Dave Moe. The price was a bit staggering at $395 plus a $150 core charge, but I went ahead with it anyway and it worked well. At least I had a core to swap out.. without that the price would have been $545.

Please be aware there is also an overdrive lockout switch that is associated with the cable assembly. That switch keeps the electrical parts of the overdrive from attempting to engage when the OD is physically locked out when you pull on the cable. If you forego installing the switch you risk damage to the overdrive when it is locked out. Seattle Packard sells that switch for $95.

Lastly, Seattle Packard's lockout cable assembly does not come with the plastic knob that screws onto the driver's end of the cable. Kanter sells that knob for $40.

All the best,

Mark

Posted on: 2011/5/18 13:48
 Top  Print 

Re: Overdrive Lockout Cable source
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
That is a bit pricey. My R11 is on the garage floor and my Packard runs very good as it is. I do but plan to continue gathering parts. I have one question for the experts. In the electrical drawing for the R9 and R11 there are marked differences. Since mine is an R11 I hope I do not require a reverse lock out switch? Hopefully when the R11 was engineered it solved this issue.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 14:35
 Top  Print 

Re: Overdrive Lockout Cable source
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It was. The R11 is a completely different mechanical design. That reverse locking up problem with the R9 that caused the retrofit of the safety switch and of course, the advancing age part of the R9 was one of the main reasons for the switch to R11s. There was even a kit made available to field switch R9's out if the owner wanted to pay for it.

One other thing is what year R11 is the one you have. The 51-4 ODs (maybe those are R12s - although the BW manual on site shows them as R11) had the lockout switch on the end or side of the OD case rather than on the lockout cable knob end. If there is a rectangular box with terminals or a place for one on the side or end of OD --same side the lockout lever is on, it is one of the later ones. If that is what you have, you would have the option to use that switch & then it might be possible to get an aftermarket cable assy for a lot less & paint it properly. Depending on the type you found, thread the shaft and put the proper knob from Kanter or Yesterday's Radio on with no one but you the wiser.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 14:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Installing a R11 overdrive in my 1948.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I guess I have a late model R11 that I installed in my 38 coupe. There is no electrical reverse lock out switch - there is an internal plunger that is activated by an ear on the reverse fork.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 16:09
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The reverse safety lock out switch was a retrofit added to R9 cars in 47 and was available or could be installed on earlier as well. Even with the reverse lockout plunger which they all had, if a bad switch or electrical short kept the solenoid engaged on the R9, because of the mechanical construction, going into reverse and applying power would lock and could damage the OD. The safety switch forcibly cut the power to the entire unit via the gearshift linkage so the solenoid had to drop out. R11 was a different mechanical design so no longer had the problem. The other regular lockout switch just keeps the OD from engaging in normal operation. On the R9 it was in the ground circuit to relay, R11 is in the power side.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 16:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard A. Alwes
See User information
These are the marking on the case of the overdrive unit.

R11-1B
WG DIV
A189
SB

There is no rectangular box with terminals on the side or end of OD. I guess I have an earlier model. Thanks for the information the more I learn the better this project will go.

Posted on: 2011/5/18 19:45
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
OK, that explains the "mystery" reverse switch on my '41 - 180 (R9), that doesn't have backup lamps. Can you tell me where the retrofit wiring cut into the OD control circuit?

Posted on: 2011/5/19 11:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Details of the problem with R9s and change are in SC 21 #15http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL21NO15.pdf but here is the schematic showing the reverse switch in the power feed circuit between battery and relay.
Note: They mention Clippers but the switch was applicable to all R9s.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.48 KB)
209_4dd54971251d9.jpg 690X526 px

Posted on: 2011/5/19 11:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved