Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 77

Kenbwisc, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Melling/Olds oil pump adapter kit update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Hey guys!

Please no flames on this thread.

This is just an update on how many Olds/Melling oil pump adapter kits have been sold as of this date.

The current count is 31. This includes 3 put on eBay on 23 May 2008. They all sold, including one to Australia! I finally have retained ONE for my own personal use.

One way to look at it is to say that about 2 dozen (a few guys have bought two) Packards that otherwise would not be on the road because of oil pump pressure problems are now back on the road due to this adapter kit. This is clearly the solution to the "Packard oil pump problem".

Another way to look at it is to say that 31 kits is NO WAY to make any profit on something like this, given the effort it took by all involved. Thanks to those involved!

But, I'm glad, and I hope that the other adapter kit contributors believe that this was a worthwhile endeavor.

For those who do not know the full story on the development of this kit by the members of the Packard V-8 Club members, see this URL:http://www.1956packardpanther.com/PV8C_OHVOPA.html

Craig

Posted on: 2008/6/8 19:12
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Melling/Olds oil pump adapter kit update
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Glad to hear that the kits are a success. Certainly, in the future, the kits will become ever more popular and in higher demand thus increasing your profits from them and will lead to other great retro fit parts production oppotunities for you.

Thus far i am not aware of ANY negative feedback ever made about the conversion. I have no negative comments to make about it. I think it's GREAT!

Posted on: 2008/6/8 22:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
This is an elegant and well researched solution to the problem of Packard V-8 lifter noise caused by insufficient oil pressure and/or supply.

Back in the day, my father, a former Packard dealer in Santa Fe, NM was wrestling with this problem without much success or technical help from Packard. His solution was to install adjustable push rods. As I recall he would set them for about .001-.002" for the intake valves and about .002-.003" for the exhaust valves. This solution resulted in quiet valves,and smoother idling engines. Of course, there was the added maintenance item of periodic valve adjustment. Something to consider ...

Posted on: 2008/6/9 12:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Where did he get the adjustable pushrods??? Did they come from some other engine ????

Posted on: 2008/6/9 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe the adjustable push rods were made by Iskedarian (sp.?). They were a manufacturer of performance camshafts and valve gear for most engines at that time. I do not know if they are still in business, or how to acquire a set of push rods. It might be possible to modify the rocker arms to accept adjusting screws and nuts. John

Posted on: 2008/6/10 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The company is still in business under the name "Isky". I looked at their online catalog for adjustable push rods and did not see anything for the Packard V-8s. Another suggestion is using push rods from another engine that will fit the Packard V-8s.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 16:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Could it be possible that Iskendarian (Isky) might still have the design specs for the adjustable Packard V8 pushrods? They were once one of the principal sources for all kinds of performance camshafts and valvetrain parts for nearly every potentially high-performance American made engine manufactured. As I recall, many Studebaker 56J owners and other Packard hot-rodders utilised their products. I've searched for other adjustable valve options for the Packard V8s but couldn't find any that appeared readily adaptable.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
LLoyd. Did u see the so-called 56J engine that was on ebay recently????

Posted on: 2008/6/11 0:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Packard V8,

No I hadn't even heard any reference to it.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 2:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, Iskenderian pushrods were actually made by Smith Brothers, who are still in business and will make anything you want.http://www.pushrods.net/ I have three sets of NOS Iskenderian adjustable pushrods I found when visiting with Ed. They are long, heavy and require three hands to adjust them. Not a viable solution for most problems.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/6/18 22:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved