Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 52 »

Re: Mal's '41 120 Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day Mal, I Googled the belville and it brought it up ok. I spelt it incorrectly but "Belleville washer", also known as a cupped spring washer is a type of non-flat washer. it has a conical shape which gives the washer spring tension. I used them in the aviation industry. I have also fitted some aviation industry ones to my 38 six and Eight. The site www.bellevillesprings.com has more detail. best Regards Peter

Posted on: 2008/6/4 22:18
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 6th June 2008

Couple of hours at the workshop this morning for more cleaning, including Marine Clean, of external engine parts.

Quote:

Peter Packard wrote:
G'day Mal, I Googled the belville and it brought it up ok. I spelt it incorrectly but "Belleville washer", also known as a cupped spring washer is a type of non-flat washer. it has a conical shape which gives the washer spring tension. I used them in the aviation industry. I have also fitted some aviation industry ones to my 38 six and Eight. The site www.bellevillesprings.com has more detail. best Regards Peter

And Peter, thanks for your insight into the "Belleville washer", it is a bit different to most found on the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.53 KB)
226_4848f332896c9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/6/6 3:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Mal, I see you are also busy cleaning engine parts the same as me. It's great to see these when they are finished with a new coat of paint! I am just very thankfull for a wire brush!
By the way, I am painting all my external engine parts a matt black high temp paint, and the block a greyish color also in high heat. It seems to be the general concensus that this grey color is the one to go for on my 23rd series standard eight. What are you going for? Probably the Packard green?

Posted on: 2008/6/6 4:16

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

africapackard wrote:
Hi Mal, I see you are also busy cleaning engine parts the same as me. It's great to see these when they are finished with a new coat of paint! I am just very thankfull for a wire brush!
By the way, I am painting all my external engine parts a matt black high temp paint, and the block a greyish color also in high heat. It seems to be the general concensus that this grey color is the one to go for on my 23rd series standard eight. What are you going for? Probably the Packard green?

Barrie,

It seems a never ending chore this cleaning. The wire brush wheel on the bench grinder is getting overworked and is a great tool. I use it on just about anything that can be unbolted and hand held! And yes, the engine will be Packard green.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 4:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saturday 7th June 2008

Half a day at the workshop this morning and in that time Metal Readied engine parts, firewall and front cross-member and related areas and then washed these down and compressed air dried them. Next was setting-up on the rack of the smaller items and a balancing act between 2 pieces of timber for the starter motor, then painting the lot. And this time almost managed to avoid getting POR-15 on me. Because of the contortions required to paint things while they are still in the '41 rubbed up against the radiator outer shell and only realised too late that I'd already POR-15'd there. So I've now got black streaks on my left ear, still it was considerably better than some earlier episodes.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.76 KB)
226_484a4832cc83c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.86 KB)
226_484a4845b930d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.92 KB)
226_484a485730ab3.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2008/6/7 3:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 9th June 2008

Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Sunday 1st June 2008

.......tonight I ordered some parts from Max following a recent survey of requirements by Wade.

Parts being:

Timing Case Cover Gasket(Fix oil leak)
Timing Cover Seal & Retainer(Fix oil leak)
Manifold Gasket Set(Repair broken stud)
Ignition Cable Set(Replace present radio supression cables)

Only trouble with ordering things from the US, besides the actual cost, is the shipping charge which can be significant! Although I hope, for these parts, it will be reasonable as the parcel shouldn't be large or heavy which are big factors in the shipping cost calculation. We'll see.

Surprise, surprise! It's a public holiday here in Oz celebrating the Queen's birthday, shows our colonial heritage, although there is a big push for a republic. And on arriving home after running an errand found a Post Office courier delivering the parts ordered from Max! That was pretty quick, 8 days from ordering on-line to delivery! And shipping was significant, being US$42.00. Although they were light and not bulky they were in a fairly large box with lots of packing to fill all the empty space. Doesn't cost them but sure costs me.

And tomorrow on the way to the workshop will drop in and see Sam and Ivan and see if they can weld up the broken oil filter bracket for me. And this time won't go empty handed, will take a dozen cans of amber throat elixir with me.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.08 KB)
226_484ca6217d972.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (63.59 KB)
226_484ca636592d0.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/6/8 22:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 10th June 2008

Before heading to the workshop this morning a courier delivered the steering crank pin kit I bought off eBay recently. I'm still amazed that when I needed this item that one popped up on eBay, it's like deja vu all over again! The kit is good, including the "Belleville Washer" Peter, only drawback was the price US104.49 but I couldn't wait around so had to buy it.

On the way to the workshop dropped in to see Sam and Ivan, and Sam was able to weld the broken oil filter bracket for me. And this time I didn't go empty handed and was able to leave them a dozen bottles of "Pure Blond" beer as a thankyou for their help over the last few months'

At the workshop, first tidied up Saturdays painted items taking them off the wire most had been strung from and cleaning up any overpaint of POR-15 on inappropriate surfaces. Then drained the oil from the engine. Next, into the engine compartment disassembling the horns and horn bracket and the cross engine throttle linkage. These items, including bolts and brackets, were cleaned on the bench grinder wire brush in preparation for painting later this week.

And on arriving home found there was a small parcel in the letterbox from Packards1. I've bought a Gas door spring on eBay that the '41 was missing, thanks Joel.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.28 KB)
226_484e3f7545791.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.50 KB)
226_484e3fc828fbc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.46 KB)
226_484e3fdbea269.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.67 KB)
226_484e3ff118505.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/6/10 3:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 11th June 2008

Couple of hours at the workshop mainly scraping and wire brushing the head and block in preparation for painting. Also took off the breather pipe at the back of the engine and cleaned it too. It's no fun cleaning things while they are still in the car but circumstances dictate what can and can't be done at times. And now for a bit of R & R, we're off to visit the granddaughters this afternoon.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 21:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 12th June 2008

Half a day at the workshop this morning and had only been there about 1/2 an hour when Wade arrived. He and Gina had arrived back from the Border Run rally to Berri yesterday and Wade was there to clean up the Super 8. However Wade hadn't been at the workshop long when Gina rang to say her Celica wouldn't start, apparently the battery drains if left sitting for a week or more, so Wade rode to the rescue returning later once Gina was back on the road.

While Wade was out I was Marine Cleaning the engine and more engine compartment bits. Then when Wade returned he started on pressing out the old bushing from the steering crank arm which took a little persuasion in the press but finally came out after the direction of push on the bush was reversed. Some comparisons with the old parts were then made to ensure we had the right pieces and all checked out OK. Wade honed out the steering crank and the new bush slid in without a worry. And while this was going on I proceeded to Metal Ready the engine and the other bits. All prep work finished now and ready for paint, probably early Saturday morning.

While washing down the engine after the Marine Clean a guy named Peter came over and we started chin wagging as you do. Seems he's known Rick for a long time and was getting Rick to fix a problem with his Mazda MX5, bought it new and says he'll keep it till he dies. Also mentioned some other cars he's owned including MGB, E-Type Jaguar(like most former E-Type owners didn't have one good word to say about it) and a Ferrari Daytona! He'd also gone for a drive in a new Jag recently and wasn't impressed at all either. Plenty of interesting people are in and out of the workshop all the time.

A word too about the Rally, haven't heard much yet from Wade but will catch up on that in the next few days. And if he's got some pic's I'll include those or a link to an album for all to see. There were 26 cars with all but 2 of these being Packards, so a very good roll up, with the 2 non Packards being Cad-La Salles.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.73 KB)
226_4850d9a38a636.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/6/12 3:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Mal, you are getting there!

Interested to see how you cleaned the head. I have to do this as well during the weekend and was wondering how you cleaned around the spark plug holes and how you are gonna paint there? Obviously I dont want anything to get into the holes or openings! This is how mine now looks! Lots of penetrating oil. Will use engine cleaner and then the trusty wire brushes...to get old paint off.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.84 KB)
484_485107be4bb1d.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/6/12 6:25

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 52 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved