Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Carbuartor Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
As for starvation on the test runs, you might be chasing a dirty filter/clogged pickup/weak fuel pump/bad line issue like the rest of us. I would put a couple miles on it like you're doing with your test run, then make sure the ignition is all in spec, then timing, and then check your idle mixture and set your idle again and see how she does.

If she's off after that, start checking fuel pressure headed into the carb. That's how i discovered that something fishy is going on with my fuel.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 9:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Sam,

The hole in your manifold and that in Cortcomp's manifold certainly look the same. As long as there is no blow-through from the hole to the hot box area it should not be a problem. Hope this is the case as it'll certainly save you a lot of time, effort and worry. Looks like I panicked in the light of some manifold problems I've seen over the last few years.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 15:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
The carb is on my 4 bbl now or else i'd check it, but i'd swear it had the same hole. I wonder how they even made it, if it was a cast piece that was done poorly or what.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 15:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Multi barrel carbs and multi carb setups need a balance passage or tube to equalise vacuum for a smooth idle. Usually there is a small passage in the base of the carb or in the top surface of the manifold. See if there is a notch between the barrels on the bottom of the carb. If not the hole may be the balancer.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 16:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal, chin up, chest out!

1970s VW Beetle 1302 inlet manifold

[picture source:http://www.kaeferundfreunde.de/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22&start=30]

Attach file:

jpg  (40.07 KB)
757_4e0b9fab0b83f.jpg 450X600 px

Posted on: 2011/6/29 16:56
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gerd, I can't see if that's a deliberate cut or a burn thru. But multi-barrel carb installations all have some provision for balance between the barrels or the manifold branches. Could be within the carb base or in the gasket, others in the manifold. In the case of the Hudson Hornets with the Twin H (2 Carter WA-1 carbs)Power the balance tube was a long tube external to the manifold connecting the front 3 branches with the rear 3.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, that's a deliberate cut. In case of extra tubes it is called Str?mungsangleicher, I would translate it as "airstream equalizer". The intention for the unusual looking shape of the cut in Sam's manifold is to swirl the air.

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source:http://www.ecosalon.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/air-swirl.jpg]

Posted on: 2011/6/29 19:06
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My '51 also has the hole. It is not centered between the chambers. I can feel the empty cavity between the holes and the holes do not "feel" the same size. Seems like they broke a hole between the chambers and size or where they lined up did not matter.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.92 KB)
508_4e0be05edd2c1.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/6/29 21:33
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Sam Sargent
See User information
Well, I have to apologize for starting this whole hole thing because with only a quick second look, I would have noticed that it's a plugged drilled hole (by design), with no corroded openings into the heater box. >>Sorry for the False Alarm<<

Also the "sluggish" carburetor performance was found to be mostly the float setting. The rebuild kit spec sheet called for 1/4" but other resources called for 5/32", which did improve the performance but it's still not 100%. Speaking of the rebuild kit, it came with a Daytona type float valve that has a flat tip vs. the normal pointed needle. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this type needle and seat? ... And yet, another opportunity. Further trouble shooting found the vacuum advance not working because of a "frozen" distributor shaft around the mounting bracket couldn't pivot. The diaphragm was leaking to boot. Hopefully this vacuum fix will help me get the carb problems adjusted out.

Attach file:

jpg  (166.26 KB)
3861_4e112b8ada676.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/7/3 21:55
1950 Eight Deluxe -2362-
Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Hah! How none of us caught that before this point.... It makes sense though, you'd want any vacuum device to see total manifold vacuum, not just a reading off of one side.

Posted on: 2011/7/5 9:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved