Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

DOT 5 issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How can i clean DOT 5 from the brake drum?????

Posted on: 2008/6/9 21:46
 Top  Print 

Re: DOT 5 issue
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Brake cleaner?

Posted on: 2008/6/9 23:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Yeah, I would say brake clean spray too. Lacquer thinner would work, but brake clean is basically laquer thinner under pressure in a can.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 5:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am not sure what the formulation is and how badly it gets into the metal, but since dot 5 is a silicone product think I would be tempted to use a silicone and wax remover from the paint shop, then the brake cleaner just for that little extra. Maybe overkill and not necessary, but don't think it would hurt either.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 8:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the accepted solvent for silicones of this nature are from the class known as ketone solvents, the most common members of the family are acetone and MEK (methyl ethyl ketone).

Posted on: 2008/6/10 9:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THANKS Owen !!! I didn't think of trying acentone. I have some streight Acetone here in a can and will use it. Would MEK be better to use than the acetone or one's as good as the other????

I tried paint thinner (DD LAquer thinner) several times over the last week or so and it seemed to clean it pretty good but still had some slipperyness to the feel of the iron drum. I'll use the acetone for sure. HOWEVER, it seems to me that the laquer thinner HAS acetone in it?????? If so then why didn't the laquer thinner clean it just as well????

Posted on: 2008/6/10 10:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
The best thing I have found for getting rid of silicone products is benzene or xylene. Goop Off used to be mostly xylene.

I think lacquer thinner contains toluene and methanol (mostly).

Anybody know if oven cleaner might work?

Posted on: 2008/6/10 10:57
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, oven cleaner is water-based and contains lye (caustic potash or equiv) and would be a very poor choice, it has essentially no solubilizing power for an organic liquid. And be careful with benzene, it is at the least a suspect human carcinogen and has a very low flash point, only 12 degrees F. On the safety aspect, Acetone's flash point is even lower, 0 degrees F - and is also a skin and severe eye irritant and an explosion hazard so use any of them outdoors and with plenty of ventilation. Xylene and toluene (aka xylol and toluol) are a bit safer but still not great, and probably not a very good solvent for silicones. Speaking as a chemist with many years of experience is chemical safety, if you intend to use any of these substances, you should obtain and read the material safety data sheets (MSDS) first, or at the very least the label precautions.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 11:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I agree that all of those chemicals are nasty. I was a molecular biologist for many years, and we always made sure to use things like phenol, acetone, benzene, etc. in a fume hood and wearing gloves.

My thought on oven cleaner was sort more along the lines of "since they use KOH to etch silicone wafers...".

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on: 2008/6/10 15:40
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Molecular biologist, wow, that must have been very interesting. I was a research chemist and later Director of Research for Olin Corporation. In the current case we need to distinguish between silicon acting as a metal in a silicon wafer, from silicones, organic substances.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 16:12
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved