Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

packards in South Africa !!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
The owners of any packards, that are in + - 100km of Johanesberg please let us get together so that we can show off these beautiful cars that one only sees now and then.
We can also help each other if one is not sure of how to go about ie :- How do you start getting spares - and how do you start to rebuild an engine that is over 70 years old which in this case i need help,come on guys lets see what we can do to help each other.
its just a thought.
(082 330 1440) Regards Bill,
Gauteng South Africa.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 15:19
 Top  Print 

Re: packards in South Africa !!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rblum
See User information
William, welcome to the forum! Having a visitor from South Africa should help to round out the field of the international contributors found here. Keep us posted on the progress of the Packard community there, I for one am certainly interested.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 19:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bill,
to PackardInfo and for including your '39 One Twenty 4 Door Touring Sedan in the Packard Owners Registry.

There are 2 Packard owners from JoBurg, that I know of, who are PackardInfo members being Philip Cronje, packardsafrica, here's a link to the thread where Philip introduced himself on PackardInfo. The other is Barrie, africapackard, there's an email address in his public profile, you could contact him on. Or send both guys a message through the PM links here on PackardInfo.

I met Philip and his wife Ansie when they visited Sydney in November 2009 to see their daughter Mariska. There are some pic's of them in this post on my Project Blog. I understand Philip has a lot of Packards, most in disrepair, but has a lovely restored '37 120 so should be able to point you in the right direction. Barrie, on the other hand has a '50 Standard Eight Sedan the restoration of which he documented in his Project Blog. Other sources for Packard Parts are Kanter Bros and Max Merritt, other Packard parts vendors as well as eBay.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 19:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bill,
for including your '39 One Twenty 4 Door Touring Sedan in the Packard Owners Registry.

Regarding rebuilding your engine, all the parts to do so are available from Kanters and/or Merritts. The engine in my '41 120, very similar to your '39, was rebuilt last year using parts from one of these vendors. First the engine was pulled down for inspection, measurements for wear and determining exactly what needed to be done. Parts were ordered, being all new bearings, cam bearings, timing chain and gears, pistons, rings, wrist pins, oil pump kit, water pump kit, valves, etc, etc. While waiting for the parts to arrive block and head were chemically cleaned and other parts to be used in the rebuild were cleaned. Once all parts were received the block, head, crankshaft, con rods, bearing caps, flywheel, harmonic balancer, etc, etc were sent to an engine rebuilder for the machine work and balancing required. Rebuilder also installed hardened valve seats and valve guides. Once the rebuilder had done his thing, picked up all the parts and re-assembly commenced. Note, the carb, generator and starter had been worked on previously so were not included in the rebuild process as such. However you should probably do these as well so that everything is right to start with.

If you would like some idea of what I did please have a look at my Wade's Workshop Project Blog starting on Page 33 and post #323. Continues for about 6 months but probably covers, more or less, what you need to know. That is, if you can suffer my long-winded ramblings about things Packard.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 1:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
Thanks to all - For the 1939 packard 120 info, to date i have not had any contact with other packard owners maybe its because of the weather here ( its winter) in South Africa! - its not as cold as what some of you guys go through but its cold, makes you want to stay indoors.I will be doing a complete rebuild of the engine so keep the info coming guys as i need it to do a perfect job i will be reading all of what input you tell me to read, and kanta will be contacted for my parts etc - thank you all again for what ever information you give, kind regards Bill Stocker.

Posted on: 2011/7/24 11:52
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

william george stocker
See User information
hi there
hope you are well, i have stripped my 120 8 cyl engine today except for the valves which i will do tomorrow, what i would like to ask is did you have both head and block skimmed, i an having trouble getting head bolts out have broken one already.
secondly the baffel plate in the exhaust can you tell me what it looks like as i do not have one.
also should i have on my engine - valve springs serrated washers to prevent valve rotation?
my clutch was back to front? and thrust bearing in bad condition.
what should i do now ? your advice would help me a lot as i am on my own her and live out of town and do not know any body that can tell me hope you can help regards Bill.

had a look at that beautiful engine you rebuilt- if mine looks like that it would be great, you keep well and be happy!

Posted on: 2011/7/26 15:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi william

I wrote to your e-mail yesterday.

I luckily did not have to redo my engine so I am no great help with engine matters. However, I did have to replace my thrust bearing. If my engine is at all comparable I found a replacement bearing from a Isuzu pick up. I can get the part number for you if you want. See your Inbox for my detail.

Cheers
Barrie

Posted on: 2011/7/27 1:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bill,

To answer your questions I have broken them out of your post and will reply individually. Also I realise your situation but if you get in contact with Barrie and Philip you'll have a couple of Packard guys closer who could give hands on type advice.

Did you have both head and block skimmed
- Both skimmed by the engine rebuilder but may or may not be required in your case. Needs to be determined if yours require this before doing it "as a matter of course".

Having trouble getting head bolts out have broken one already
- I also broke a head stud and ended up replacing all the studs with new ones sourced from Max Merritt. But they may be available locally, Barrie or Philip may know.

The baffle plate in the exhaust can you tell me what it looks like as i do not have one. also should i have on my engine
- Have posted a pic of mine, not a great one, but it'll give you some idea. Believe it's not absolutely necessary to have the baffle because it acts an an aid when the engine is warming up from a cold start. In fact my mate Wade has blocked off the hot box on his '37 Super 8 with a copper plate, resulting in a little longer warm up.

Valve springs serrated washers to prevent valve rotation?
- Yes, I have these on my engine but understand others have used more modern replacements off a Holden V8 here in Oz!

Clutch was back to front
- Take your clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel to a clutch rebuilder(I did) and they should be able to rebuild and then rebalance the whole assembly.

Thrust bearing in bad condition
- If a replacement is not available locally Kanters or MM should be able to supply these. I even managed to press the old bearing off and the new bearing onto the "collar" it rides on!

Seems to me you know what you're doing if you're working by yourself and have disassembled the engine to this extent and from the comments on what you've found.

Others may wish to add their advice to my comments as I am relatively inexperienced in these matters.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.66 KB)
226_4e2fbb7b5473a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.85 KB)
226_4e2fbb950220e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.75 KB)
226_4e2fbba2c4915.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/7/27 2:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
On machining head and block. It's like dental work, you don't drill and put in fillings if there are no cavities. YOu check them for flatness and machine if needed, if the block is true within specs, no need to remove studs unless an individual one is deteriorated by corrosion or bad threads. By all means use a thread chaser to clean the threads on the studs. Rebuilders of modern engines often skim the head and block as a matter of course to prevent "comebacks" as modern blocks warp as they are built for light weight (fuel economy reasons), Packards a built like battleships. I think that if modern blocks had studs instead of bolts there would be much less machining.

The serrated washers MAKE the valves rotate, if a valve remains in the same position it can get a wear pattern and then leak.

DO NOT install hardened valve seats, on anohter thread you will see that some blocks have gotten cracks due to the weakening on the area where it is machined for seats and the stress of the seats pressed in. If you are towing a 5000 lb trailer up a mountain on a regular basis and you experience knocking because your fuel is below, say, 72 octane you MIGHT consider it. You have a pleasure car which will see light duty and few miles I presume. The valve train when rebuilt as original will outlast your great grandchildren.

When unleaded gas was required in the US, there was a huge uproar in the antique community because of the valve/valve seat damage that would become the scourge of all of us. It never happened. There was a brand of gas, AMOCO, that for 50+ years was touted for its benefits. It's special difference?? It was lead free. So much for "common knowledge", the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

After your Packard has visited the Fountain of Youth you will enjoy it all the more.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 2:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I too was going to make a comment about serrated washers to prevent the valves from rotating, but Fred beat me to it. I have always been told that valve rotation is needed to prevent the valves from premature wear. As our site name says, it is all about getting the correct information out to our Packard community.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/27 15:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved