Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 77

Odd Moen, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rotary Antennas?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Greetings Radio Fans,

Tune your antennae in on this question!

I have been looking for a rotary antenna to fit on a 41 Clipper. I think Packard used them from 1941-50, perhaps even earlier and later. What sources do you know to find them?

One or two have appeared on eBay going for up to $300+. Several have sold for about $200 (with S&H).

My Clipper has the rotary shaft with base and bezels (both inside and out). The chrome aerial and chrome aerial base are missing. I know that Yesterday's Radio sells plastic re-casts of the inside antenna turn-knob and the triangular rest piece that fits on the windshield divider. (~$25-35+)

I have thought of building a dummy one for looks. I have my radio in a friends shop, so I will need some antenna arrangement eventually. He thinks we can build a working dummy antenna for the roof or perhaps a 'running board antenna' arrangement like Packard used on some other years.

Any 'antenna wisdom' out there to tune into?

Broadcasting from in From South Dakota ---
Dan

Posted on: 2008/6/10 22:46
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Re: Rotary Antennas?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know a great deal about them, but I think you are correct that they were offered or used 1941 thru 1950, and maybe 1940. The production codes list two different radios for 48-50, both "fender antenna" and "roof antenna". I've been told several times that the one on Buicks in the same era which superficially look the same are in fact different but that doesn't mean they couldn't be adapted. I'd say that $300 for one, if it was excellent and correct, was an absolute bargain. I had one remasted some years back by Antenna Masters (perhaps now defunct?) and that cost was about $150.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 8:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Owen,

Thanks for the insights. Yea, I suppose an original in very good condition would be a bargain at the prices I mentioned.

I think I am strugglin' with restoration priorities. I want it all at as reasonable and as quickly as possible.
Some labor I can do myself.
Some parts I can find cheaper
(a $27 brake light switch from Kanters versus
The same one from O'Reilly's for $6)
Yet, the unique parts are just plain expensive.
They are also what are distinctive (antennas -- Goddess of Speed, Swan mirrors, etc.)

Then there is the budget:
A starter vs an antenna?
A generator vs an antenna?

Sorry to bore you with 'downers.' (I have had a tiring day and made the mistake of reading about the US economic forecast for the rest of 2008.)
Thanks for the response.

In the mean time, I have capped my antenna base with a PVC pipe cap (cut-down, sanded, and painted to match the Flare Toupe Metallic finish). Tomorrow's forecast is a sunny day. I will drive my Clipper 40 miles into MN, enjoy the cruise, the scenery, and the purr of a Packard L-head 282.

Later
Dan

Posted on: 2008/6/11 22:48
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dan,

Where in MN? I grew up around Stillwater.

Also, the more you read or watch the news, the worse you will think things are, regardless of reality. Of course, not all is rosy. Still, I think we are, in part, living in a self-fulfilling prophecy, driven by news organization that thrive on misery, depredation, and gloom.

Have a great drive!

Tom

Posted on: 2008/6/12 1:39
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

41ParPack wrote:
Greetings Radio Fans,

Tune your antennae in on this question!

I have been looking for a rotary antenna to fit on a 41 Clipper...................

One or two have appeared on eBay going for up to $300+. Several have sold for about $200 (with S&H)................

Any 'antenna wisdom' out there to tune into?

Broadcasting from in From South Dakota ---
Dan

Dan,

Message received.

Bought one recently off eBay for US$177.50 and added to that had to pay US$38.00 to ship it down-under, Total US$215.50 = AU$230.65. And very recently another one went for a similar price. Haven't had the original antennae off my '41 yet, although it looks reasonable, because of other things being worked on. But it is more rotary than it should be, so I've bought one for "insurance" while I could (they don't come up that often). Anyway, once my antennae is sorted out, in a couple of months after the rest of the car is up and running, I'll keep you in mind with what's leftover if the parts are in reasonable shape.

Over and out from "Down-under".

Posted on: 2008/6/12 4:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I know where there is one on a 47 Custom that I use for parts. The owner of the car won't let me take off anything from the front 1/2 of the car other than engine parts but I will ask him about the antenna. It isn't in very good shape but it is all there.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 8:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies, from 'downunder' and otherwise.

Mal - I bid on that same antenna and pushed your price up to 170 or whatever. I didn't get a chance to boost your price any higher or you would have more pain$. So as the 'loser' I would be interested in the 'left over parts.'

I posted some picts today of my Clipper from Parade day yesterday. Note the 'CUSTOMIZED STUB COVER' on my Clipper.

This is a great website. Thanks also for the attitude adjustment.

I want to post a Shock Absorber Note on how my knee action shocks work much better with fluid in them -- but that's for later.

Dan

Attach file:

jpg  (12.82 KB)
464_48558bd79410f.jpg 320X240 px

Posted on: 2008/6/15 16:38
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Correction: The CUSTOM 'ANTENNA BASE' STUB COVER was what I meant to refer to.

(I know I will get grief on that mis-comment)

Later
Dan

Posted on: 2008/6/15 16:41
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Clipper47

Yes, if you have a source of a rotary antenna, PLEASE work it for me.

As you can see from the photo, it is better than no antenna.

Dan

Posted on: 2008/6/15 16:50
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Just a thought: Hudson's used that exact same type of antenna on the windshield header as your Packard. I happen to have at least one or two up at my mom's place. The next time I'm up there I'll grab what I can find and take pics of them to post on here.

Posted on: 2008/6/15 16:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved