Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

pmhowe, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: DOT 5 issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Actually, all brake cleaners are NOT created equal (and not merely WRT to VOC issues). I've tried a few different brands at work and even found one that won't cut DOT3 brake fluid - just seems to push it around.

I've tried CRC's aerosol brake cleaner and didn't really like it. Yet, IIRC, their brake cleaner used, essentially, the same ingredients as their LectraMotive Electric Parts Cleaner, which works very well for its intended purpose. While CRC makes some very good products, I look to other brake cleaners, but avoid the deep discount generic stuff.

AutoZone used to carry an aerosol brake cleaner (in addition to CRC's) under the Coastal brand, but I believe it is now sold as under the AutoZone brand. Though I haven't tried it on DOT5, that cleaner worked very well for me, but never seemed to go very far. I use nearly two full cans on a disc brake job - cleaning new parts as well as old.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 8:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is Alconox generaly available at hardware stores and is that what i ask for or does it go by another brand type name????? My acteone can is empty after long storage so i will try to buy both today and use them.

Posted on: 2008/6/13 14:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I bought some acetone this afternoon but havn't had a chance to use it yet. I'll get out there in a couple of hours and try it and i think i have some OLD cans of thinner that still have the ingrdients listed on them and take a look at that too.

A qt. can of acetone was $5.00 at the local True-Value hdw store. That price just about made me shiit blue brick. The empty can i have has a price tag still on it of about $2.00 from about 10 years ago.

Posted on: 2008/6/13 22:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The acetone did a GREAT job.

However, i have a can of DD 3696S Acylic lacquer thinner with ingredients listed on can as: Acetone, alcohol, ester, petroleum distolits and toulene solvents.

The thinner is not real effective for cleaning the DOT5.
Why? Does not contain enuf acetone???? It's the first ingredient listed on the can.

Posted on: 2008/6/21 22:45
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved