Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Cardboard Heater Plenium Chamber
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Is anyone reproducing the Cardboard Heater Plenium Chamber? this the cardboard thingy under the dash the distributes the heated air.

The one in my Clipper is dry rotted. I guess if I cant find one, perhaps I can make a new one using some of the foil backed cardboard ducting.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 13:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Cardboard Heater Plenium Chamber
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was a fellow in SF area that made glovebox repros and I think he also did the heater if requested. Used to advertise in Hemmings but don't know if still does. Is yours gone so far that it couldn't be used as a pattern or as a mold for fiberglass.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 14:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Fiberglass! Perfect idea. My Plenium is pretty fragile, but I think I could tape it back together enough to hold it's shape to apply the fiberglass mats and resin. I also have 3/4 quart of resin and a bunch of mat left over from another project. So that might be perfect. It might end up a tad bit larger in size then the card board one, but for sure will be stronger! and moisture resistant.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 14:24
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
That fellow would be Ron Carpenter: Carpenter's Classic Cars, 925-933-1486 tel, 925-939-6904 fax, rcarp1940@aol.com e-mail, 20 Los Ranchitos, Alamo, CA 94507. I hope he can help. John

Posted on: 2008/6/10 16:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks for the info. I will drop him an email right now and report back.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 17:13
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
You can also try David Moe at Packard Seattle Company. 425-334-7754 or dmoeenterprises@cs.com

Posted on: 2008/6/10 21:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I will give David an email also. I wasnt aware that he was making those. I didnt see any at his booth in Feb at the PI Meet.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:16
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I heard back from Ron Carpenter, he only makes the Glove Box liner. I will try David.

Posted on: 2008/6/10 23:27
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you really want to be a "hero" you could make a mold off your cardboard plenum and make new fibreglass replicas.

It's not that hard. You would have to take the plenum out, "restore" it to like new shape even using tape, plaster, plasticene or whatever so long as it has the right shape and appearance. Then, cover it with hydrocal plaster reinforced with burlap bags - this is about the cheapest way to make a mold.

Carefully take out the old plenum, now you have a mold that can be used to make all the plenums you want. Use mold release agent (kitchen pan spray will do) and don't knock it about, and you should be able to make dozens of plenums before it wears out.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 16:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Reply from David Moe:

"Kevin. We do not make new ones but have good used ones available. They are $90 each plus shipping. David Moe"

I dont really want to spend $90 on used card board, but it's nice to know the option is available is nothing else works out.

I need to get the entire box out from under the dash, and then once I so I will figure out the best plan of attack. The cheap route for me would be to tape back together from the inside, and the coat the exterior with fiberglass resin and mat as suggested. I already have the fiberglass resin and mats, so no added expense, and I should be able to do all of that in a couple of hours. The only down side is that it's exterior size will grow a bit, and I would have to see if that could cause fitment issues.

The other thing would be to pull all the staples out of it, and then unfold it, and use that as a template to make a new cardboard one. I was thinking of using that thin, foilbacked cardboard they use for some house-hold heater ducts. I will no more once I can get the entire thing out from under the dash.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 17:09
-BigKev

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved