Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 92

acolds, John Sauser, BlackBeerd, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1940 overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
no oops. I just want to thank you for even taking the time to help. This is an excellent site, that will benefit everyone involved with Packards. I have to work many hours each week, and have limited time to spend working on my Packards, so this site has saved me probably a couple of weeks of down time for the car. You can read the manuals, but it is a whole lot easier if you have starting points of where to check. I just hope one day I can help someone else. I have a 39 12 sedan, the 40 limo and 52 Mayfair. All I have restored myself. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2008/6/5 23:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You're correct - this is a great site and you will have the opportunity to pass on some knowledge you have gained by doing your own work. I learned to drive on a 52 Mayfair and really loved that car. It was sunset red metallic and twilight taupe. Glad to have you aboard and I hope you have posted your cars in the ownership registry.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 0:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
49packard, My '47 was built in July so must have missed the reverse lockout uprade.
tolandis, Good to hear that the OD is working. I had trouble with my governor as well but managed to get it working by adjusting the points. Mine has the two contact E.Clutch version.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 8:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Here I am again. Having trouble with the overdrive again. I have had the transmission out several times in past years and never had a problem before. I suspect that it may be the solenoid, even though I feel it clunk when energized. On the road the red light and relay feel fine, but just is not going into overdrive. I pulled the solenoid off, I am not sure how to energize it from a spare 6 volt battery I have. Can you give me which numbers on the solenoid should be the 6 volts and possibly jumpered. I put my finger in the hole in the overdrive where the plunger rod would go. I can feel the pawl and can (after rotating the drive shaft by hand) go in about a quarter to half an inch. This locks the drive shaft from rotating in one direction. Does this sound at all correct? One of you mentioned that there is a boot in the inside that might restrict the travel of the plunger. I just went ahead and bite the bullet and order another rebuilt solenoid. So if we can't get this ironed out, I should have a spare in a few days. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 20:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Case is ground. 3 & 4 (the 2 lower terminals closest to stem) are the 2 solenoid coils. 4 & ground is the pull-in coil and 3 & ground is the hold coil.

Power 3 and if you pull out the stem by hand, it should stay out. Power 4 and it will extend but there is a set of internal contacts that may break the circuit just when it gets fully extended so it might "machinegun" ---depends on the adjustment of the contacts. If this happens you can tie 3 & 4 together.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 21:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Tried ground to case and to number 3 nothing. I got the rebuilt solenoid in today and put it in the car. I grounded the governor under the car and could feel and hear the solenoid operate. Take it for a test drive. Still not going into overdrive, and something else happened. After a few times of slowing down and then speeding up, the red light would not go out until I came to a complete stop. Before it acted normally, if you released gas pedal pressure it would go out. Now it does not. A simple clutch overhaul has turned into a nightmare.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 18:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
3 & ground is the hold coil and will not pull in the solenoid by itself-- just spark--but if you pull the stem out completely then it will stay out if working properly.

4 & ground will energize things and extend plunger but then should drop right back out when solenoid fully extended because a set of contacts inside are supposed to open when stem fully out.

At any rate, reading the description of operation, checking schematics the light should go out when the solenoid is fully extended and the pawl is properly engaged since a contact (terminal 7) in solenoid opens. The governor should have turned it off by dropping everything out below 22 or whatever speed it is set for. Are you sure that is working properly.

One thing I am curious about. Are the two solenoids identical in the length & travel of stem? Reason I ask is there are several part numbers for solenoids. Not sure when the R9 started, but there is a part for 17th series, one for 18 & 19th, one for post war R9s, and then the R11s. All R9 schematics are identical so what would be the difference that needs different numbers.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 22:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
the solenoids have the same case number, and the rod is the same length. I will have a bit of time this weekend to play more. I will recheck the governor. Thanks for sticking by me.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 23:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
havn't had much time this past week. But, printed out a manual on r10 and r11 overdrives. It talks about the improper positioning of the blocker ring. Do the prewar r-9's have the blocker ring that might need to be aligned? I don't think it does bit I might be mistaken.
My neighbor gave me an article on a Jim Hollingsworth. He seems to be an expert on 1940 Packards, and might know exactly what to look for. Might anyone know how to get a hold of him?

Also I am looking for the rear seat arm rest radio head, or any parts of it. I have had the radio box since I got the car but never have been able to locate the head. So here it is posted for all of you to see if anyone has any or all of it.

as always thanks for your time.

Posted on: 2008/6/22 21:46
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved