Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
52 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 51

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Cracked block- how serious is it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
If there's a block for under $500, i would buy it just to have on stand by, especially if it's a hard to come by motor.

How come no one has suggested the SBC route to him yet??

I kid, i kid!

Posted on: 2011/7/24 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Based on my current nomadic (Navy) lifestyle, I think I'll pass on the Ebay block. The '37 six is unique to that year, but based on numbers, I think there are probably several out there. I know where I can get one in Iowa also, that runs, but I'll wait a few years to start looking for spare parts. It depends on where life takes me. I am planning on using the plug method with some JB weld to fix it temporarily.

Posted on: 2011/7/25 20:05
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Matt snape
See User information
I would have thought that a mild steel bolt/stud would do as a plug. Sealed just like any other stud there would be no reason to expect it to leak and this means you can drill and tap it in the car yourself if you wish.

Although I would reiterate that if it's not leaking there is no need to risk further weakening of the block.

I might add that the concept of 'freeze cracks' is a little strange to us Aussies - not something I would have ever thought of! When it comes to overheating, however, we know a little more LOL

Posted on: 2011/7/26 7:47
If at First You Don't Succeed - Skydiving is Not For You...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
I'm going to calm everyone down about the welding process, but ONLY because it's a Packard block. I'm not sure how many know this but nearly all of the inline blocks are CAST STEEL, not the typical CAST IRON. It still takes the right rod to weld it and shouldn't be attempted by just anyone, but all of the re-machining slow cool pre-heat stuff is moot on these things. They also don't like hardened valve seats nor do they ever need them. A good tig welder could sweat that in with silicon bronze as well.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 8:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Learned something new today, thanks. Always thought that hardened valve seats were a bunch of hooey for Packards, hardly ever saw a burned seat. Now I can take the rest of the day off

Posted on: 2011/7/26 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
This crack on the engine block is repairable, but it takes a skilled craftsman to do it. I have seen far worse cracked blocks then this. Also if you want to keep the car original I would suggest keeping the old engine block.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 10:04
Dreaming about a 1954 Packard Clipper
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i have hardened seats in my v8 heads. i thought it was just a good thing to do since it was all out and apart.

my original block was cracked....repaired...and crack spread. orginal repair was really good job....but still spread. i have kept it, but wont use it. i have another block now.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/7/26 10:10
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ken, one reason for keeping the original block is that the Packard is probably registered using the engine number. Using the engine number was a common practice in many states when these cars were new. Yours might be different. Change the engine, different number, lots of time and effort to change the registration.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/26 10:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I have not registered the car yet, but on the title I have from Iowa, the car is registered using the VIN number on the firewall plate (not the theftproof number).

The block wasn't weeping coolant, so I will probably leave it alone for now. Long term, I'll use plugs and JB weld, or have it tig welded now that I know the block is cast steel.

As an aside, I believe the block is probably original to the car, but I know the title is not! The old gentleman I bought it from bought it with no title, and took the VIN plate and title from a scrap heap 115 and transferred it to mine. So, based on the disassembly, I think everything except the VIN plate is original, but I don't know the original VIN.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 16:18
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
A little off topic but I would like to comment on the possibility of increased risk of block cracking due to use of valve seat inserts.
The block on my 1929 633 had been fitted with valve seat inserts before I got it. I reconditioned the engine at considerable expense and shortly after running it, it developed cracks between a number of inlet vales where there is a cooling passage On examination it was clear that the cracks resulted from the fact that the block had been weakened due by the machining necessary to fit the inserts plus some loss of thickness due to internal corrosion. Bear in mind that pressing in the inserts does not compensate for the loss of strength and could increase the stresses in the area due to the interference fit and if the insert expands thermally more than the block.
I don't like valve inserts and don't think we need them given that we do not use these cars as we would our everyday car.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 19:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved